Lead me up the garden path....

(5 Posts)
bumperella Mon 22-Oct-12 22:30:35

Ooh, stepping stones could be nice!

MaudTheGardenTheBlackBatNight Sun 21-Oct-12 14:59:23

You also need to think about the tendency of local cats to use gravel as a litter tray. <<Eww>>

Do you need a continuous path? Would a stepping stone path work?

ZuzuandZara Thu 18-Oct-12 01:06:56

Thanks bump. Mine is also a chicken and toddler infested lawn (and dog and cat!) Thing is we've opened a business which involves clients coming to a building at the bottom of our garden so it needs to look good.

You've given me food for thought though. Back to the drawing board I think. Probably paving slabs but nice ones are so expensive.

bumperella Tue 16-Oct-12 22:44:17

need to remove the turf on top, level it flat/pack it down, add weed fabric then the shingle. Like you said, you'll also need to edge it somehow, or else you're shingle will get kicked into the grass and knacker your mower!

You could follow same process and use bark chips, so when they get onto the lawn it won't matter? You'd need to top up the bark occasionally, and birds and hedgehogs do like a good rummage around in it..

Depending on how manicured your lawn is it might drive you mental - mine is a chicken-and-toddler-infested grassy patch so a bit of bark wouldn't bother me!

ZuzuandZara Fri 12-Oct-12 22:19:02

I have a long garden that is grassed. I want to put in a path. It needs to be cheap. I also have small children and don't want to put in anything that protrudes too much so they can't razz around without tripping over edging bricks or similar. So I was thinking of a slightly meandering shingle path (that would lead to a shingle area at the bottom of the garden so it should blend).

So, is this a good idea or any other ideas please?

If we go ahead with this how do we stop the shingle 'bleeding' onto the grass too much? I don't mind a bit of bleeding but don't want all the shingle to just disappear into the grass.

Any ideas gratefully received.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now