Colourful bedding plants for winter recommendations please

(6 Posts)
bumperella Tue 16-Oct-12 22:54:15

Baskets in the winter are often harsh places as they get wet, windswept, have no real insulation and are small enough for the compost to freeze right through.
So might be worth thinking of doing something intended to last from now till Chrismas then replacing for early spring.
Ivy should survive baskets over the winter, and is a good trailing staple.
Galthera or pernettya are nice (lots of berries).
Heathers are robust.
Very small/young skimmia plants can look great -slow growing shrubs but often used as bedding.

Aquelven Tue 09-Oct-12 20:07:45

I've just bought two trays of cyclamen in Aldi, really cheap.
I usually plant winter pansies, primroses, some winter heathers. I put some spring bulbs in the tubs under them to come up when the plants are going over.

Grockle Mon 08-Oct-12 14:19:29

Also, things for foliage - a small conifer, ivy, chives & spring flowering bulbs that pop up in the new year (narcissi, daffs, tulips, crocus).

Sorry, am not well & it's stolen my memory.

Grockle Mon 08-Oct-12 14:16:46

I have winter flowering pansies & various other things I can't remember the name of. Will post again when I can remember.

McLurkin Mon 08-Oct-12 14:13:53

With apologies as I'm not sure I actually know what constitutes a 'bedding plant'!... so these may not be suitable, but two thoughts:

Cyclamen? These look good - picked for flowering throughout autumn-winter:

I have just planted this bergenia in my garden - it has beautifully coloured foliage (mix of red and green) although no flowers til spring.

Madmog Mon 08-Oct-12 13:56:07

Just wondering if someone can recommend some colourful bedding plants for the garden and my baskets for the winter. I bought some viola last autumn and they were over by Christmas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now