Climbers for south facing pergola

(5 Posts)
Yorky Sun 09-Sep-12 07:55:48

Hello clever green fingered people.
I have never posted in this section before, mainly cos I didn't know it existed! Gardening is NOT my strong point - gardening generally limited to mowing the lawn grin

However, our front room window faces almost due South and its absolutely baking sitting in the window atm, but it feels so ungrateful to close the curtains on a lovely day. I've looked at wind out awnings but they are £££ sad
DH has suggested a pergola fitted over the window to provide shade which sounds nice, but will it make for problems with the house/plants in a few years time?

And does anyone have any recommendatinos for nice, flowering climbers which can cope with full sun and neglect, possibly not evergreen so they don't make it too dark for the 360days a year when the sun isn't Mediterranean?! Sorry for being so awkward, and thanks for any advice

Yorky Mon 10-Sep-12 09:46:13

I know its a slightly odd question but I keep reading plant descriptions which say 'likes shade' but haven't found one which says 'likes full sun' and a bit worried about baking them

Not flowering, but how about a grape vine for shade and fruit?

Yorky Tue 11-Sep-12 09:44:13

A vine? How cool would that be!
We're in the midlands - is that too far north for the grapes to ripen properly? Seems a waste to grow them if they're not very edible, although the fruit is just a bonus and the shade is the main aim smile

Have had fruit in Cotswolds and Cambridgeshire so you might be OK. They may not ripen fully every summer, but the birds will still appreciate them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now