Moving to a house with an actual garden!

(14 Posts)
JamNan Sun 23-Sep-12 11:46:47

paintbrush blush

JamNan Sat 22-Sep-12 08:32:01

Regarding the pumpkin, they don't like frost and I fear it's too late in the year to plant out and get fruit. The flowers are male and female and as it's been inside without any bees and insects to fertilise it you might have to fertilise it yourself (only the girl flowers produce a fruit). Get a paint and mix the pollen with that of another flower.

You can buy quite a few varieties of fruit suitable for growing in a pot although I have never done them myself. patio fruit

Your SIL's plan is top notch BTW. Don't forget a few cut flowers if you have room - cornflowers, marigolds and love-in a-mist can go in now.

Enjoy your garden - it's lovely that your DS loves growing plants.

WantAnOrange Sun 16-Sep-12 11:28:27

One of the pumpkin plants now has one HUGE flower on it. Doubt will get any actual fruit but DS is delighted. He came running into my bedroom this morning shouting "The flower has opened!"

My nan dropped by yesturday with some strawberry plants for him too.

I got my SIL round last week (she has an allotment) and she sat with DS and planned a veg patch. It's actually pretty big! I just need to get someone to drive me to the garden centre. She recommended a broad bean variety and I've found a pea variety that he can plant out in autumn. Also going to do garlic, as we use loads of this.

So, we are planning to grow peas, broad beans, pumpkins, garlic, spinach, pak choi and rocket, then later on runner beans and patty pans (because they are so pretty!), plus strawberries and tomatoes (got room for a little green house). I am going to grow herbs in pots too.

Sound good?

We get carrots, beetroot, rhubarb, parsnips, runner beans, chillis, lettuce and cabbage from Nan's allotment and cooking apples from Dad's garden. The only thing I really miss from the old house is the pear tree sad.

WantAnOrange Thu 30-Aug-12 07:59:12

Thanks Lucy for the links, I will take a look.

The pumpkins have several little buds that look like the start of flowers. I will re-pot them when we've moved and see how they go.

LucyEyelesbarrow Tue 28-Aug-12 13:23:10

There are lots of online garden shops that supply raised beds from the simple and cheapish to the stylish but expensive. Have a look at somewhere like Dobies to start you off.

Gardeners World has advice on growing fruit and veg in small spaces and in containers.

I've never grown pumpkins but unless you can see fruit developing already I'm afraid you won't have a ripe pumpkin for October this year. A mature plant can take up a fair bit of space but perhaps you could pot them up, put stakes in the pots and then train the stems and leaves around the stakes; they will need a lot of support. I don't think pumpkins like frosty weather (certainly the fruits don't) so this may be something to try next Spring. Have a look on the Gardeners World site - they'll be a lot more knowledgeable than me.

You could try blueberry bushes, too. We have two in pots - get two rather than one to increase the yield - and they're easy to grow and don't take up much space. Pot them up in quite large pots in ericaceous compost and keep them moist - though I have let them dry out a few times and they've been very forgiving.

WantAnOrange Mon 27-Aug-12 21:45:58

tbh, I don't drive and woodwork is not my thing. I need one I can order online, have delivered to my door and put togther from flat pack blush. I suppose I could put DH onto it, him and DS could do it as a project, though DH has zero knowledge of DIY and no tools other than a set of screwdrivers (for the flatpacks!) and a hammer.

Is there a decent online garden shop?

I love beetroot, great idea!

We built our veg patch. Planks of wood and wooden stakes in the corners nailed together. It is two planks high smile

Spinach grows very quickly and easily. Parsnips and beetroot are good. Don't bother with rhubarb unless you're willing to wait a year and lose a chunk of your garden as it's huge.

You can grow potatoes in a tub smile

It is really too cold outside for tomatoes/peppers/courgette.

WantAnOrange Mon 27-Aug-12 21:32:04

Oh and we've got to grow rocket, it's DH's favourite but it costs a bloody arm and a leg!

WantAnOrange Mon 27-Aug-12 21:20:10

ouch!

Pancakeflipper Mon 27-Aug-12 21:08:27

But they are so tasty - totally eye watery when you grow your own. You will have to wear goggles!

WantAnOrange Mon 27-Aug-12 21:01:29

Will definately be doing peas. Strawberries and lettuce sound good. Is it worth the effort to grow onions, they are so cheap?

Pancakeflipper Mon 27-Aug-12 20:57:00

peas, strawberries, lettuces, onions are great - they keep for ages if you hang them up properly.

I would see how your lawn behaves before doing anything with it. It might be a moss magnet or a clover lawn. Or perfect. Just keep it neatly cut for now.

WantAnOrange Mon 27-Aug-12 20:54:08

DS is so very excited, we are moving to a house with a garden and he would like to have his own veg patch. It's a rented property so we can't do anything to permanent but the letting agency did say "do what you like with it".

French doors open out onto a decking area, then it's a step down to a medium sized lawn, with a shed at the far corner. Down the right hand side is a fence, and the left side is a hedge.

It's not particularly big but our current house only has a tiny yard. One thing we do have here is a pear tree up one corner of the yard which we will really miss. Is there such a thing as a small tree/bush that can be grown in a large pot which will give us some fruit? So, that DS doesn't feel so down about leaving the pear tree behind.

Also, where can I get a little raised veg patch and what's the best thing to grow with him? Any tips?

My nan has an allotment and we get runner beans, blackcurrants and rhubarb by the bucket load so we don't need any of those! DS loves peas and we managed to grow some in our tiny yard last year so we'll be trying those again (none made it as far as the backdoor, DS and the child-minded children ate them all). We live near a field that has so many blackberries we get sick of em, so don't need those either!

DS has also planted 3 pumkin seeds a few weeks ago and they are currently in a pot in the kitchen, growing like mad! What should I transfer them into once we've moved? Are we likely to actually get a pumkin for Halloween?

I only have to look at plant life and it withers and dies.

Any tips on maintaining the lawn? Do we need to do anything other than trim the grass when it starts looking a bit long?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now