Ants in garden - help

(10 Posts)
Elizabeth22 Sat 21-Jul-12 16:19:07

Is there a humane way to get rid of ants taking over a lawn? My husband is vegan and doesn't want to pour boiling water on them, for example, or use poisons. Any ideas?

33goingon64 Sat 21-Jul-12 17:10:28

Ooh I want to know too, although have no problem with poisoning them!

GaryTankCommander Sat 21-Jul-12 17:13:07

I don't think there is any humane way. Ants can't be relocated, they can only be killed. And I'm guessing the only humane way to kill them is something fast, such as boiling water. Poisons aren't quick as far as I know.

EauRouge Sun 22-Jul-12 15:59:45

This stuff might be worth a go, I've never tried it so I can't say whether it works or not. I might try it, my lawn is like one massive ants' nest. I've been pouring boiling water on them but another 5 just pop up somewhere else.

MurielTheActor Sun 22-Jul-12 20:18:02

We had an invasion yesterday which seemed to be coming from a crack in the paving. Did the boiling water but didn't stop them. DD had bright idea of using hairspray.
Sprayed into the crack and haven't seen one since!

Elizabeth22 Mon 23-Jul-12 08:04:24

EauRouge - that's an interesting link. Might try this also.

Thanks for all the replies.

joshuasdad Mon 23-Jul-12 10:30:35

I've found that vinegar puts them off without actually killin gthem. Make sure it's not balsamic though - tried that once in Turkey and they loved the sugar in it!

Elizabeth22 Mon 30-Jul-12 08:34:10

Thank you for all your suggestions.

I've also just read in a mag that cinnamon is supposed to work too.

digerd Sat 08-Sep-12 19:47:11

Did the cinnamon work? Ants like sandy, or lose compost type soil. I have them in my pots and on the sunny side of my garden border, but not where it's shady and damp, but don't suppose that's where you want to sit in your garden. I let them live as do not have them indoors and do not sit outside on my lawn either. I expect you live in a sandy soil area, which they love.

Redhillibilly Sat 15-Sep-12 15:38:20

I would love to get rid of ours. Thousands of the buggers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now