bastard slugs are eating EVERYTHING this year! what won't they eat?

(118 Posts)
cormsilkye Fri 06-Jul-12 19:02:54

bastard slugs and I suspect the snails are having a go as well
what plants do slugs not like to eat? I like cottage garden flowery types if that helps

storytopper Sat 07-Jul-12 20:13:44

Some really vengeful snail-slaughter action going on there!

Dropping them in beer seems quite kind, really, after all the damage they have done. Karma's army may not clobber me after all.

Off to Asda tomorrow to buy their cheapest and nastiest brew. (Btw - No particular reason for choosing Asda beer - no special snail-killing properties - it is the closest store.)

sadnoonie Sat 07-Jul-12 21:01:57

Unfortunately, the bastard slugs and snails in my garden reject tesco cheapo beer and laugh at the beer trap. Unless there is Guinness in there, then they fling themselves in! (or I fling em in)

Got a big tub of porridge which will be liberally sprinkled around the garden tomorrow. Did a sweep last night, topped up the beer traps, put pellets down, evicted some from the greenhouse and stood on loads on the garden path. They were really attacking my courgettes angry

stubbornstains Sun 08-Jul-12 08:55:55

I can see the germ of an idea for the next multi-million dollar High Art Guiness campaign...Ladies, spare the better looking slugs in your gardens for when you get the casting call....

orangeandlemons Sun 08-Jul-12 13:09:24

The carnage this morning was very satisfying. 5 of the bastards on the basil plant alone. Now completely inedible of course due to slug pellets, but still rewarding

Tub of death.
Fill a margarine tub with snails/slugs, put the lid on with an elastic bag and leave in a sunny spot where possible for about a week.
Discard on your next bin day just before the bin men come. Do not open the tub, the slugs will have eaten each other into a puddle of slime that smells of deathsad <bitter experience>

Beamur Sun 08-Jul-12 20:45:44

One simple tip a friend told me - a lot like the orange/grapefruit one - is to put down a cabbage leaf in the area you want to get them away from overnight. They home in on it, have a munch and then it's an ideal shape to shelter under, so in the morning you simply pick up the cabbage leaf, put it in a bag, tie it shut and put it in the bin (or salt it, run it over, whatever)

mummylin Sun 08-Jul-12 20:58:56

they wont eat salt !

mummylin Sun 08-Jul-12 21:02:20

better still do what my brother does and go out in the garden at night armed with a torch and a pair of scissors !! need i say more, ugh !

fishybits Sun 08-Jul-12 21:07:59

Beer trap but for god's sake don't forget about it like I've done. I've got a slug soup floating at the top of the trap because of the rain and I can't bring myself to deal with it waiting for DH to get back . It's utterly revolting.

PigletJohn Sun 08-Jul-12 21:21:49

there are people who think slug pellets don't work.

but they do.

they take a while, because after you've killed the slugs in your garden, more gallop in from next door. But you keep on sprinkling more pellets, especially round the perimeter, and eventually all the slugs who are near enough to travel to your garden have been dealt with. Then you just need to keep up a light sprinkling round the edges, preferably under hedges and things that wil give protection from rain.

you sprinkle them thinly, not in piles, which makes it difficult for a pet or child to gobble down a handful.

storytopper Sun 08-Jul-12 21:39:47

Didn't get round to buying the cheap beer today as I went to my DSis's house to watch Andy Murray (sob, he tried so hard!)

I'll start a beer and oatmeal programme tomorrow - can't bring myself to buy pellets somehow.

If I come across any snails that have not fallen for the beer or oats, I'll put them in the garden waste bin - then they will become the council's problem, not mine smile DH has been putting them over the fence into the neighbours' gardens I am sure they are back within seconds ( well, minutes - they are snails).

I stamp on them.
They have eaten my lilies and my poppies. The only thing they seem to be leaving alone is our jungle like lawn.

mummylin Sun 08-Jul-12 21:53:55

Oh but bad kitten ,then you have all that horrible gunk on your shoes.It would make me feel sick ! had a slug going over the lawn today it must of been about 4 inches long, i soon put salt on it and its now a little ball of mess !

ah, storytopper, I went out on a slug & snail patrol this afternoon, and chucked all the ones I found (about half a dozen under/on 1 strawberry plant alone!) into the green waste wheelie bin, too - thought they'll have a happy few days munching away (aaah), then get pulped on Friday (mwahh haa haa)

MooncupGoddess Mon 09-Jul-12 13:49:23

Mine love Guinness too. High-maintenance bastards.

They are also surprisingly hard to drown. I had a massive one yesterday that kept trying to crawl out of the beer trap. Had to pour salt on it in the end. I did cry a little inside when I read the comment above that after three years of relentless extermination it started to get a little easier...

Condover Mon 09-Jul-12 14:02:53

I went to but slug pellets at the weekend, having tried everything else (except porridge!!)

I couldn't find any that could claim not to be harmful to other wildlife though, so couldn't bring myself to buy them. What happens to the birds/frogs/hedgehogs that eat the dead/dying slugs? Or don't they? <<hopeful>>

PigletJohn Mon 09-Jul-12 14:07:36

Not sure

I usually scatter mine under things, so birds wouldn't see many. The slugs shrivel up and expel their bodily fluids. I believe that the pellets are much more toxic to molluscs than to mammals, so unless a hegehog found a pile of pellets and ate them all, not supposed to be a big danger to him (which is why you scatter them).

Do birds eat slugs? never seen it happen.

PigletJohn Mon 09-Jul-12 14:09:37

p.s. you can also get a slug chemical tht you mix with water and apply to the leaves, it kills slugs that eat them. Very rarely see it though. In a small white plastic jar, maybe contains 50ml or so. I think made by Murphy.

sharklet Mon 09-Jul-12 14:14:23

BEER! never fails, that and I kept ducks when I had my kitchen garden. I would let them roam the kitchen garden for 2 hours a day and they would eat all the meat (slugs and snails and the odd worm) then I'd shoo them out before they ate all my lettuce!

cormsilkye Mon 09-Jul-12 16:30:54

I went for a swoop this morning and got loads of the bastards. grrrr

MooncupGoddess Mon 09-Jul-12 16:56:22

Ferrous sulphate slug pellets are supposed to be wildlife friendly. And blackbirds and thrushes do eat slugs and snails - I've seen thrushes dropping snails on concrete drives to break the shell and dig out the delicious insides!

cormsilkye Mon 09-Jul-12 16:57:04

I need to train up a few thrushes then!

TheMysteryCat Tue 10-Jul-12 21:15:05

i bought some slugstoppa.... it's the organic child/pet/wildlife friendly stuff.

i'm combination feeding my slugs with porridge and this stuff that looks just like cat litter.

in a fit of pique last night i threw salt all over the paths as well, as i could see hundreds of the buggers heading for the veg patch.

there's also a bin bag of about 50 stagnating in my bin until bin day on thursday...

<peers round and whispers> they can't escape can they?

plipplops Tue 10-Jul-12 21:31:34

A man who works at the local garden centre told me that the RSPB say that organic slug pellets are fine as long as you spread them thinly - the birds would have to eat hundreds and hundreds of pelleted slugs before they got a stomach ache.

I can't think what I'd do with them if I had beer traps - we have green bags for garden waste and they're only collected every two weeks. I use pellets I'm afraid (and copper tape round some of my pots). Oh and copper rings round some things - the proper rings are really expensive but the sticky copper tape is quite cheap so I cut a plastic bottle into rings and stuck the tape round them. Also there are now just some plants there's no point in growing (marigolds spring to mind) as they get munched straight away. The things that seem to survive it are lilies, dianthus, pelargoniums, lavender, hebe, alchemilla, sea holly and aqueligia (hmm suspicious spelling perhaps...)

Somehow I'm ok with pellets but couldn't stomach cutting them in half or putting salt on them. WOuld be very happy for someone else to come to my place and do it though...

cormsilkye Wed 11-Jul-12 07:40:51

The inside lid of my green bin will now haunt me forever...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now