17 yr old dd has decided to leave college

(8 Posts)
intrusivethoughts Sun 11-Sep-16 17:31:57

I'm absolutely gutted for her, she's done a year of her course already but really hasn't enjoyed it. She passed, but only just.
She wants to start an apprenticeship in a completely different subject/career path.

intrusivethoughts Sun 11-Sep-16 17:33:15

Sorry hit post before I was ready!
I know she's only young and has plenty of time to sort out what she wants to do but I'm panicking.
Has anyone else had this happen recently and can reassure me that it'll all be ok?

pontificationcentral Sun 11-Sep-16 17:41:46

Loads of people do it. It's practically a rite of passage in a fairly good percentage of the population. I changed my degree course after the first year. I know kids who have done this recently (into double figures).

As long as she knows what she wants to do, and is mature enough to have made the decision and sorted it all out, I wouldn't worry too much. Expecting a 17yo to know exactly what they want to do for the rest of their lives is madness, really. She didn't bail in a panic, she completed the year.

I have a 17yo living with me who is currently having a major wobble about her life plans, and is considering dropping a course - I am suggesting she completes the current section so that she can form a considered opinion instead of a knee jerk reaction after two weeks (she has to get though until Christmas) but this is up for further discussion if she starts to struggle or her grades go downhill.

Our next door neighbour's dd restarted university three times in three courses in three successive years, and then took a year out before starting again (and completing the fourth programme).

It's scary, but it's not the end of the world - it will be ok.

LineyReborn Sun 11-Sep-16 17:44:05

Affordability is an issue in lots of cases. Can she / you afford this option?

ChicRock Sun 11-Sep-16 17:48:37

If you think it's a carefully considered decision, and she knows which apprenticeship she wants to do and has made enquiries about signing up and starting it then I don't see the problem. Plenty of people don't do college, uni, etc.

If however she's decided on a whim, has made no real enquiries or effort other than announcing "I'm going to do this..." and it seems she'll be dossing around with no real purpose, then if it were me I'd be making it clear that if she's not in college or apprenticeship then she needs to get a job, any job, while she decides what she's doing and I would be withdrawing all but the most basic financial support.

intrusivethoughts Sun 11-Sep-16 22:00:06

Thank you for replies.
She went back to college last Thursday after summer hols and decided after the first session she didn't want to go back, I left school at 15 and do not, under any circumstances, want her to end up like me. She has already applied for 3 apprenticeships so hopefully something will work out soon. The financial side is just a case of letting child benefit know that she is leaving full time education, I think? Only just informed them she was staying on!

sablepoot Sun 11-Sep-16 22:23:24

One of mine did this, best choice they made. Decided early in course it wasn't for them, I managed to convince them dropping out without a plan B wasn't a good idea, they found a suitable apprenticeship and finished college after taking AS levels before starting it. Much happier and deffo the right choice imo.

sablepoot Sun 11-Sep-16 22:31:13

Oh, I see she's not got an apprenticeship lined up already. I would try and persuade her to continue at college until she has something firm organised. Also, have a discussion about the relative quality of different apprenticeships - some are much better than others and a few are rather exploitative imo. She needs something that will lead to a useful career and gives her a useful qualification on the way. Doing some research into career paths and likely salaries would be a useful exercise for her (as well as what typical costs of living are, many 17yos don't have a clue).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now