A U in AS Maths.

(5 Posts)
Walll Thu 25-Aug-16 10:35:55

Hi, DD is doing Maths. She got a U in AS, she has had a tough year with mental health. Should she just retake the exam with the others? Or take another 2 years?

VioletBam Thu 25-Aug-16 13:01:34

I got a U. I'd advise her to take another 2 years. Sorry she's had a hard time.

MistyPrivates Thu 25-Aug-16 15:05:08

I did my alevels fairly recently and did both maths and further maths. I messed up further maths AS, I tried to solve it by retaking but due to how many modules are involved in maths subjects nearly every exam season I had an extra 2 maths module retakes tagged on. In the end the retakes did nothing and I came out with a scraped E, I ended up retaking my A2 year and I managed to bump up both grades quite significantly however I regret the retakes because I feel the quantity of retakes effected my other subjects. good luck to your DD!

meowli Thu 25-Aug-16 15:13:02

Does she have to do Maths? There has been much talk on another thread about what a big jump it is from GCSE to A Level Maths, such that even GCSE high flyers find the A Level a problem in many cases. Unless she is absolutely set on taking Maths, why not opt for a different A Level, if she is considering doing another 2 years?

Farfromtheusual Thu 25-Aug-16 16:55:59

A level Maths is VERY difficult. I got a U at AS level and ended up dropping it as it was just too much. I'd say give it another 2 years or look at doing another course if she doesn't need maths.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now