Feedback on BRIT School anyone?

(6 Posts)
OnGoldenPond Fri 29-Apr-16 09:50:50

DD has been offered a place on the post 16 Musical Theatre Course at the BRIT School starting this September.

She lives and breathes singing, acting and dance and would live a performance career.
She is also very bright academically and is predicted all As and A* in 10 GCSEs this summer.

She has also applied to sixth forms to study 4 A levels ( Drama, English Literature, Philosophy and Psychology) and holds several offers. She would study BTEC Musical Theatre plus A level English Literature at the BRIT.

Obviously she is very pleased to have gained a place at BRIT but a bit apprehensive about going down this route as could be a bit narrow. Obviously would be thrilled if she is successful in a performing career but being realistic it is always a long shot and concerned about coming off a more academic pathway at this stage. If she studies for A levels she would aim for a degree course in English Literature and theatre studies, then post graduate drama school or musical theatre school.

Anyone have experience of the BRIT course and what leavers destinations are?

merlottime Fri 29-Apr-16 13:49:53

You may get more response if you post in Secondary Education? There is a current thread there for people on the reserve list, and I think a few people who know folks who are there or have been there have commented, so may be able to help you.

OnGoldenPond Fri 29-Apr-16 16:50:08

Thanks Merlot have reported my thread and asked for it to be moved

OnGoldenPond Fri 29-Apr-16 17:20:01

Though I notice that thread is for those entering in yr 10. Hope i also get replies for post 16

homebythesea Mon 20-Jun-16 13:10:45

I don't have knowledge of Brit school but I am the owner of a performer so have gone through very similar thought processes.

Given the choice I would always opt for the more academic route. The Brit school programme will not keep as many doors open as the traditional A level courses and in particular may make higher education more difficult to access. If she is truly talented in the performing arts she will find a way. But I don't need to tell you that it's a brutal world where a tiny minority actually make it. Academic qualifications will provide a cushion against what is likely to be a very hard road for her.

OnGoldenPond Wed 21-Sep-16 09:08:29

Update - DD decided to take up her place in BRIT sixth form and is now nearly 3 weeks in. She is studying Musical Theatre plus A level English Literature.

Before deciding she researched the acceptability of the course to admission to the performing arts and English related degree courses she is interested in, including the best regarded courses in the field at good units. All were very happy to accept the BTEC, in fact a lot of students entering the courses went in with this qualification, though the A level English Lit is necessary for the joint drama and English courses.

So far seems to have been the right choice. The pace is pretty full on and she is exhausted at times but is enjoying the opportunities. She is also enjoying the A level immensely and finds the teacher inspiring. The other students on the A level are also very motivated and bright. They were all required to get minimum A in both English Language and Lit due to the high demands of studying A level alongside the BTEC.

Fingers crossed, but so far so good smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now