Gaining extra UCAS Points

(8 Posts)
muttonjeffmum Thu 28-Jan-16 10:53:08

Has anyone got any advice how my son could gain some extra UCAS points?

He has 60 points from a Music Tech course and will hopefully have a further 180 for the course he is on now giving him a total of 240. He has started to look at uni courses starting in 2017 and some of them require 240 which doesn't leave a lot of room for movement.

He's college doesn't do A levels and I'm not sure what to suggest. I have told him to talk to the UCAS co-ordinator at college. Has anyone DC's been in the same situation?

sashh Fri 29-Jan-16 05:53:25

Key skills, extended essay, dance/drama/music grades taken outside school?

Have a look at the UCAS tarrif and take it from there.

BertrandRussell Fri 29-Jan-16 06:10:28

And ring the admissions office of the place he wants to go to and ask their advice. The points score in the prospectus is usually a minimum for oversubscribed courses.

RomComPhooey Fri 29-Jan-16 06:40:16

Its the academic qualifications that are relevant to the course that are most important. Points from music exams etc are the gravy rather than the meat, IYSWIM. If he's doing a BTEC, can your son extend his current qualification? Otherwise, extended projects are good.

muttonjeffmum Fri 29-Jan-16 09:01:09

Thanks everyone. I don't think he can extend his current qualification but the college does do some HND's. I will get him to ring or email the uni and tell him about the extend projects.

Lonelycher123 Mon 07-Mar-16 06:03:03

Pls help.
To do computer science at Uni, do you have to do Maths A level? It's just that if he does A level Computer science at sixth form, why does Uni ask for Maths A level, isn't A level Computer Science enough to get in?

bojorojo Fri 01-Apr-16 10:21:22

Lonely - maths is essential because university courses need students to have a deeper understanding of maths than computer science A level requires. Did your DS not receive advice before choosing A levels? Can he now do maths?

Kaddy Tue 05-Apr-16 09:18:21

Computer science is maths. wink

Would he be interested in an slightly different computer/IT type course.
EG READING UNI Our BSc Computer Science and Information Technology degrees typically require:
A-level: ABB
grade B or above in Mathematics at GCSE

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now