Distance learning courses

(8 Posts)
Slippersmum Sat 27-Jun-15 15:14:32

Has anyone done a distance learning course that they could recommend? I have a serious health issue which means I cannot attend college. I have looked at the OU but the courses of very expensive and since my dramatic drop in income since having to give up work it is out of my price range. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Millymollymama Sat 27-Jun-15 17:38:57

If you want a degree level course, I'm afraid they do come pretty expensive. What subjects and areas of study are you interested in?

LIZS Sat 27-Jun-15 17:43:33

Does it have to be accredited? Coursera do short online courses.

LIZS Sat 27-Jun-15 17:48:02

https://www.coursera.org/courses There are some from UK universities.

RedandYellow24 Sat 27-Jun-15 17:48:08

The OU is still cheaper than uni but they are more expensive than when I did mine a few years back. They used to have monthly plans mind that you could do so was easier.

They are free courses Google future learn free short on line run by different uni with video and readings. I'm doing two at the moment usually 3-6h per week for 3-6weeks. Huge range of courses from medical- maths-history -and the obscure! Might help if you want to study something while you look around.

RedandYellow24 Sat 27-Jun-15 17:57:31

Meant to say I have a health condition where I had to give up work two years before finished my degree (took me 8y p/t) the OU had great extra funding paid for laptop and let me sit all my exams at home with examiner with rest breaks built in. I could never have done it any other way. Wishing you luck

Slippersmum Mon 29-Jun-15 10:04:46

It wasn't a degree really as I already have one and various post grads. Has anyone studied with anyone else? I don't really know what area of study as my life has changed drastically lately and my previous career is now over unfortunately, so open to ideas really.

mummytime Mon 29-Jun-15 10:22:02

I would really looks courera and edx courses until you know exactly what you want to do. They are very good and basically free, although you can pay and get them verified, and from the end of August there will be some for university credit. They are good for exploring a new subject or revising stuff you have forgotten or just fun. And as they are free you can find out if you have the determination eye. To do such courses.
I've done two good Maths ones from Stanford, one History one from the University of Virginia and a psychology one from an Australian University, oh and a couple from Futurelearn which are more OU ish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now