Retaking GCSE Maths as an adult

(13 Posts)
Smilesandpiles Sat 16-Aug-14 15:00:06

I did mine online with the local college. All free. I'm 33

Will get the result next Thursday I think.

jellybeans Sat 16-Aug-14 13:00:14

I did it about age 29 and got the top grade (intermediate tier so grade B) after failing at school. I recommend evening classes, about half the class were mature and we all passed!!! It was a bit unnerving being sat with all the 16 year olds in the exam and half the class were resit 16 year olds, some of whom messed about (although they dropped out after a few weeks).

Norfolknway Tue 29-Jul-14 21:50:53

I was 31

Norfolknway Tue 29-Jul-14 21:50:11

I did it last year!

I got a D at school too - I now have a B smile

I did it Monday nights 6-9 for a year at a college.

I actually enjoyed it shock

Vicky5910 Tue 29-Jul-14 21:47:58

I have tutored lots of adults through their GCSE maths retake and it is a very worthy thing to do! I recommend having a tutor or going through a college that actually runs a class on it. The maths for a C hasn't changed but the style of the exams is so different, and marks are awarded for such strange things, that you need prepping for it to make sure you maximise your chances smile

mak123 Tue 29-Jul-14 21:43:31

Age in this instances does not matter (just in relation to GCSE Maths and GCSE English Language) so they should be provided free at your local college.

stottiecake Sun 13-Jul-14 10:00:59

I'm 40 btw

stottiecake Sun 13-Jul-14 10:00:19

I've just done maths gcse at my local f.e college. It was free smile waiting for results now!

Yes GCSE Maths and English are now free. Ring your local Adult Learning Centre, get some advice.

RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock Wed 09-Jul-14 22:06:28

Thank you for your responses smile

I've since discovered that from September, when I had planned to start the course, I need to have a grade C or above before I start the course and an equivalent isn't accepted.

Never mind hmm

Preciousbane Wed 09-Jul-14 08:44:28

I took the level 2 course because I had a D at O level so am considerably older than you.

Agree with poster above regarding if it is accepted to take level 2, it has a more practical approach. Even though I have professional qualifications because I had the D grade there is some sort of directive to get everyone at C and above for maths and english so the course was free.

sashh Wed 09-Jul-14 08:38:44

Most FE colleges do this, a lot also run Level 2 courses that are equivalent so check the course you want to do to see if it takes equivalents.

I say this because level 2 exams can be taken throughout the year and GCSE can't.

RockPaperScissorsLizardSpock Tue 08-Jul-14 20:19:03

Has anyone else done this? If so how?

I'm 36 but in secondary school I got a D in my Maths GCSE and the career I'd like to go into requires at least a grade C or above.

Thanks in advance smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now