DS/DD off to Uni? - Empty nest support thread

(1000 Posts)
rustybear Thu 31-Aug-06 20:09:19

DS is off to Warwick in October - anyone else feeling old? Or are there any old hands with advice ?

mumeeee Wed 21-Aug-13 00:16:32

Well the time is getting nearer for my DD3,our youngest to leave. She has today enrolled online for her course at Bolton and she could even Upload a photo for her ID card, She still needs to finish the process at Bolton but it will be a lot easier and quicker then doing the whole thing up there.
She has also asked DH to get the suitcases from the loft so she can start packing. It seems strange that she is going and DH and I will be without any DCs at home.

MissMarplesBloomers Wed 21-Aug-13 06:11:06

JGB
Same here lots of helpful emails but the promised welcome pack hadn't arrived yet. But I guess they've been sorting out clearing since last Thurs so DD will check.
Have you heard about accomodation yet?

Bit worried about the deposit for that...no funds till she gets her grant although she is working her butt off to get some reserves in.

JGBMum Wed 21-Aug-13 07:10:38

No admissions news. I think they said we don't hear till mid September. That ties in with old threads on TSR when students where students talked about getting offers round the 15th.

In contrast my friends DS had the accom offer before the A2 results! Different uni though.

What's your dd studying?

snorris Wed 21-Aug-13 07:58:29

Very strange year for me - dd1 off to Exeter (I'll look out for you hoochy wink) and dd5 starts school shock. At least I've got 8 years before the dts will be thinking about going!

MABS Wed 21-Aug-13 10:15:25

she all registered, filled all in, tenancy agreement signed, 250 deposit paid, off to Asda shortly for first shop of essential stuff etc...very real! she far more interested that she found 6 new people on fb and TSR going to same accom, so bought 3 fresher events tickets so far... priorities huh??!!

mumeeee Wed 21-Aug-13 10:21:26

DD3 had her accomadation offer before she got her results. The £200 deposit has already been paid. She knows which halls but is still waiting for the actual block she'll be in. She has already found students on the Facebook group who are doing the same course as her and has been chatting to them and She''s also found students who will be in the same halls. Help my baby is growing up grin

MABS Wed 21-Aug-13 10:23:50

same here mummeee, though dd got her last choice of accom, catered which she didn't choose and no ensuite sad but am sure she will cope!!

mumeeee Wed 21-Aug-13 11:55:03

DD3 got her first choice but I think there are only 2 large blocks of halls at Bolton and there weren't any ensuite. DD3's halls have a large common room with a pool table and a TV in as well as some table and cosy chairs.

MABS Wed 21-Aug-13 14:13:43

just did big shop for god knows what!

mumeeee Wed 21-Aug-13 14:40:32

DD3 has just had her first wobble. She has learning difficulties so going to uni is a big step for her. She''s being doing well making phone calls. I reminded her she needed to phone her college about something and she went into
a complete meltdown. She had been packing and sorting out alI the documents so I think it just hit. her. that she would be on her own soon. She's very family oriented. I"ve left for work now and she has calmed down says she''s going to make some phone calls alter. Oh well we might have a. few stressful weeks ahead of us smile

MABS Wed 21-Aug-13 15:46:53

oh mumeee, that will be me in 6 years with ds, big hugs smile

MissMarplesBloomers Wed 21-Aug-13 16:03:19

LGB Classic Civilisation. What's your doing? grin

Shall we carry a pack of pom bears on arrival to see if we spot any other MN mums?!

MissMarplesBloomers Wed 21-Aug-13 16:05:06
JGBMum Wed 21-Aug-13 18:53:22

Yay!! Though DS might disown me grin

DS doing engineering.

Shall I promise to carry Pom bears and some naice ham with me?

mumeeee Wed 21-Aug-13 18:54:16

Thanks MABS I don't think I handled it very well as I got crosswith her, We are under a bit of stress at the moment as my parents aren't well, Anyway we made up before I went to work so all is well for now, I think I'll be more prepared next time,

MissMarplesBloomers Wed 21-Aug-13 18:59:41

I have an MN charity shop version scarf, I might wear that grin bit more subtle than the bear outfit ( & not as hot if this weather continues!)

I have visions of all these Mums wandering around various campus' grinning like loons at total strangers who happen to be carrying crisps & having random convo's while the DC's hiss at them

"Mum....MUM ...this way ...what are you doing???? Do you KNOW her??
God you're soooo embarrassing"

MABS Thu 22-Aug-13 08:21:14

made me laugh mis marple, sure you did fine mummeee.

TeenageWildlife Thu 22-Aug-13 12:26:13

Wow, this thread was started in 2006. since then I have been on it before DD went off to Uni - and now she's graduated and the next one is off. Main difference is this time I know you get used to it. Very quickly.

MissMarplesBloomers Sun 25-Aug-13 08:57:24

I know teenage great isn't it?

I'm hoping if we start another after this one is full it might last another few years to get me through DD2 going off as well!!

grin

MissMarplesBloomers Mon 26-Aug-13 18:36:04

Oh lordy just found this, while on the "lines that make you weep "thread.

Didn't post it as thought it a tad insensitive for those who who won't be seeing their PFB's off ....sad For those of us sending our PFB's off to Uni soon.....

“May your coming year be filled with magic and dreams and good madness.
I hope you read some fine books and kiss someone who thinks you're wonderful, and don't forget to make some art -- write or draw or build or sing or live as only you can. And I hope, somewhere in the next year, you surprise yourself.”

Neil Gaiman

JGBMum Mon 26-Aug-13 20:17:21

On his last day at school ds1's form teacher photocopied "Oh the places you'll go"
for each of her students and folded it into a little good luck card.

It's my favourite ever, and is not good if you're feeling emotional.

greyvix Tue 27-Aug-13 09:58:09

I have just found this lovely thread. My youngest DC (of four) is just about to go off to uni and I am crying already. I don't know where the years have gone!

fussychica Tue 27-Aug-13 11:07:11

Good link JGBMum - resonated with me as in the last 2 years DS has lived in Spain(old home), England(new home), Wales (uni), Germany(summer internship) and shortly to France for his year abroad. He's had a couple of nasty hiccups along the way but has dealt with them in his stride.

Reading the poem made me consider what a brave, clever, independent & grown up young man he has become. Not boasting, just proud.

Good luck to all those flying from the nest this year and to those watching them go.

ISingSoprano Tue 27-Aug-13 17:03:55

Oh dear, having my first downer today. Ds is away on holiday this week and I'm missing him a bit and keep reminding myself that this is what it's going to be like all the time soon. I will still have dd at home for another three years so it certainly won't be an empty nest. Selfish aren't I?

PFB is off to Uni , we will take him on 15th september .

It's a long way from home , we live in the middle of nowhere in west Wales , and he is off to Greenwich ! ( which he thought was pronounced Green wick ... He's got a lot to learn ! )

At the moment he's a total pain in the arse , leaving mess everywhere and being very unhelpful about everything .

I'm sure I'll miss him when he's gone .

Still have DD at home , just starting 6th form .

This thread is not accepting new messages.