DS/DD off to Uni? - Empty nest support thread

(1000 Posts)
rustybear Thu 31-Aug-06 20:09:19

DS is off to Warwick in October - anyone else feeling old? Or are there any old hands with advice ?

fussychica Thu 21-Feb-13 11:47:52

mumof3 DS at Aber, fell in love with it on a visiting day and chose it over Birminghamshock which would have made the hospital saga far simpler. At least we weren't still living in Spain - now that would have been a nightmare.

He's applied for 3 quite different places in France, close to borders so he can explore other countries/make use of his other languages. We've decided we'll drive him down and take a holiday - where ever that might be confused

Lifeisontheup Thu 21-Feb-13 12:02:38

I've already told DS Venice is on our list to visit for long weekends next year, we won't insist on staying with him though, that would be cruel and possibly life-threatening grin
I'm envious of both your DS's dual country placements, I wish my Ds could split his between Spain and Italy but he has been told to stay in his worst language country which as he only started Italian last year is Italy.

goinggetstough Thu 21-Feb-13 12:55:23

fussychica we are visiting Aber next week. Any tips about Halls or anything else?

fussychica Thu 21-Feb-13 13:27:19

going it's a marmite placegrin There is an urban myth that Open days always get sunny weather so fingers crossed for you! DS was in Cwrt Mawr and was very happy there - flats are corridors divided in two with about 5 or 6 rooms in each half. PJM is a little more out of the way and the flats are more like houses. Rosser is en suite. The others I know little about. There are flats on the seafront too. Accommodation cost is reasonable compared with many other places but rooms tend to be quite small and a bit old school compared to some I've seen. Obviously, it's not like a big city Uni which was one of the things that attracted DS as he was brought up in rural Spain - he just felt comfortable there. Feel free to pm me if you have any questions before or after your visit. Where are your DCs other choices?

Life DS only going to France - they wouldn't let him go to Spain - would have been nice to split between France and Germany but it wasn't an option so he is thinking of doing something there next summer.

mumof3teens Thu 21-Feb-13 15:49:38

DS3 started Italian last year too. We fully intend visiting both Aus and Germany, although as life says - possibly life threatening to all
Venice should be lovely. DS has applied to the more remote (not that remote though) Universities, as he feels there will be less English spoken. DS1 & DS2 have both threatened said they will visit him too hmm.

mumof3teens Thu 21-Feb-13 16:09:38

Just realised that I was the 2nd poster on this thread waaaay back in Aug 2006 when DS1 had just finished his first year at Uni - makes me feel v v old....

fussychica Thu 21-Feb-13 16:26:38

Wow - 2006 - you really are an old hand experienced in this Uni stuff mumof3. I've only got the one and that's hard enough. Despite that, if truth be told, I'm probably older than yousad.

mumof3teens Thu 21-Feb-13 17:41:50

Bet you aren't wink. We will have had one or more DS at uni for 10 years (at least) by the time DS3 finishes shock

Lilymaid Fri 22-Feb-13 12:34:03

I'm also an early poster on this thread - DS1 was going into his 2nd year when this thread started in 2006 (now has MSc + 3 years employment under his belt). DS 2 still has another year after this (International) year to complete his course. Hopefully he'll get a job at the end and Bank of Mum will not be so stretched.

mumof3teens Fri 22-Feb-13 14:45:02

Ah yes I remember your posts lilymaid. DS1 found out on Tues that he has got his 1st choice SHO job (so has been earning for 18 months grin)and DS2 is a 4th yr Dental student (only 1 more year to go). Will be wonderful when we don't have to support 2 at Uni wink. Is it unusual to do international in final yr ?

Lilymaid Sat 23-Feb-13 10:02:56

Mumof3teens - DS2 isn't in his final year but in between Years 2 and 3 - though not really "in between" as the marks for the international year are 25% of final marks for degree. So no easy year abroad - he's found that the final year US courses are as difficult as those in the UK and his university will only let him take courses that he hasn't substantially covered before in his course (or would have to take in his final year) and are relevant to his degree. Also, he seems to have exams every month.
Despite that he's managing to have a good time (particularly as he can ski every weekend at the moment).

sandripples Sun 24-Feb-13 12:12:52

Hi, I studied languages and did a year in France as undergrad, then another one as postgrad. Just want to say there is an advantage to being in one place for the whole year, rather than splitting, as it takes a few months to settle, find friends etc, so if you stay longer you get the benefit of the investment of time, rather than starting all over again. I still have some friends from that year out, over 30 years ago!

My DD did her year in Germany and loved it.

It a great learning experience.

fussychica Sun 24-Feb-13 12:53:17

sandripples that's lovely to hear.

DS is looking forward to it and the challenges it will bring. He's a fairly confident lad so I hope he'll get a lot out of it - not least, bringing his French closer to the level of his Spanish.

harbinger Sun 24-Feb-13 21:53:01

Hi, Life, Fussy,mumof3
Not a new poster
DD1 has got a place at Granada and she is so pleased.
I know a lot of you are fluent in Spanish.
Is this a good place ?

fussychica Mon 25-Feb-13 09:36:03

Hi harbinger lucky girl - Granada is a lovely smallish city which can get very hot, though she'll be home by the time the real heat kicks in!

Spanish people are generally very welcoming and appreciate any attempt at Spanish, unlike some other places in Europe. The Andalucian accent is a bit like cockney Spanish as my DS has found to his cost sometimes!

Sorry don't know anything about the actual university but here's the link to the Uni web page, in English,if you haven't seen it already.

www.ugr.es/en/

mumof3teens Mon 25-Feb-13 10:51:21

Harbinger that sounds great - was it her 1st choice? Good to know now, so that she can plan unlike DS3 her year.

harbinger Tue 26-Feb-13 20:08:01

I love the idea of cockney Spanish fussy I'm not sure if I can get my head round that? Do you mean Spanish rhyming slang confused or that their accent is quite hard to understand (like Geordie)?
mumof3teens Yes. First choice, I had everything crossed (some of the time,for her!). Supporting 2 at Uni, in the same year {grrr}

fussychica Wed 27-Feb-13 09:46:22

Neither really harbinger - no rhyming slang grin and not that difficult to understand but a rather relaxed, some might say, lazy Spanish, dropping letters especially s at the end of words and even whole words sometimes confused. His tutors sometimes criticize his accent which he has been brought up with -( Spanish people can tell where in Spain he comes from) Of course they wouldn't do it if it was Englishangry

Like mumof3 jealous of it being sorted but pleased for her. However, with only the one DC I know I have it easy just doesn't feel like it sometimes

harbinger Thu 28-Feb-13 19:29:45

DD1 found that the Department was very keen to send students to Columbia and Mexico. She was tempted (--I put her off--) but now she is sorting out the insurance for the year..........she's pleased.

DD1 doesn't travel light. How on earth does she get there?

She went to Seville in her gap year (near airport) and had a weekend in Granada.

mumof3teens Wed 06-Mar-13 19:50:36

Well DS3 has just found out he has got his first choice placement in Germany next year which is great news. Just waiting on the Austria placement now.....

fussychica Thu 07-Mar-13 10:00:13

Great news mumof3- think we'll be waiting for at least another monthsad

mumof3teens Thu 07-Mar-13 17:08:23

fussychica - sad

fussychica Sun 10-Mar-13 14:16:58

Mother's Day and he's not here sad. I've had to make do with a lovely card, a long phone call (instigated by him) and a voucher for a pedicure. Still less than 2 weeks 'til he's home and I can give him a big thank you hug smile

BestIsWest Sun 10-Mar-13 21:03:00

Missing mine too Fussy. She was all set to come home for the weekend but phoned Friday to say there are roadworks on the bus route home and it was going to take her 6 hours to do the 60 mile bus/train trip. I told her to stay there and we'll see her in a fortnight.

fussychica Fri 22-Mar-13 13:08:40

DS travelling home today - hope he doesn't get delayed by the weather. It's 6 hours on 3 trains as it is and he is not scheduled to arrive home until 9.30pm. Really looking forward to seeing him for the first time since Xmas.

Wishing all your DCs a safe journey home and a happy Easter holiday.

This thread is not accepting new messages.