DS/DD off to Uni? - Empty nest support thread

(1000 Posts)
rustybear Thu 31-Aug-06 20:09:19

DS is off to Warwick in October - anyone else feeling old? Or are there any old hands with advice ?

WhereDidTheYearsGo Tue 10-Oct-06 08:53:51

I get phone calls asking me how long to cook things for! It always cheers me up to hear from her, and it's rather nice to be able to help!

themoon666 Tue 10-Oct-06 10:32:59

DD has rung... apparently she has filled her student loan forms in wrong, so her money won't come until end of November and can I sub her until then. Great.

Judy1234 Wed 11-Oct-06 16:42:01

Mine haven't called for money. I pay by standing order weekly so they can never say they've run out really.

redsky Wed 11-Oct-06 17:06:46

Oh dear I think I'm STILL making a mess of this parenting thing! I phoned ds every day in his first week! Actually I don't think he minded, and I didn't phone before 1pm cos I knew he was out partying every night. After a bit of a shaky start sorting out modules/timetables etc he is now loving it. Best of all he is coming home to see us this weekend. YIppee!

mumof3teens Thu 12-Oct-06 16:36:42

DS1 rang Tues to say he was coming home for a couple of nights (2 free days) so here he is. Bit suspicious as to why - he said he wanted to see us! (hmm) Anyway, lovely to see him. DS2 went up to see him last week also.

Judy1234 Sun 15-Oct-06 21:52:16

Mine came back for one hour to collect his suit for a ball!

mumof3teens Sun 26-Nov-06 20:44:18

How are all you "empty nesters" getting on? I hope your DS & DDs are enjoying their courses/uni. Minimal contact from DS1 - always sounds slightly irritated when we ring him!

Lilymaid Sun 26-Nov-06 21:04:27

I've only had mimimal contact with DS1 for last three weeks (we took him out to lunch plus supermarket trip at the end of October).DS2 is not looking forward to his return as DS1 always brings back nasty coughs and colds and DS2 ends up in bed!
If anything were wrong or he needed money he would contact me. Otherwise, I'm giving him a bit of space.

oxidisedteddy Thu 30-Nov-06 23:37:02

DS came back for long weekend - probably more to see gf than us! Also saw him at FIL funeral
We talk on MSN from time to time though

torontogirl Thu 14-Dec-06 09:25:25

DD1 went off to Birmingham in Sept and I promised myself a treat to cheer up. Gave her a chance to settle in then visited her, on my own, leaving DP and DS at home, at end of November. Booked self into nice hotel and treated DD to early Xmas shopping and non-student restaurant meals. Great fun and very reassuring to see her confident in new surroundings. A bit of a treat, but recommended.

mumof3teens Fri 15-Dec-06 20:35:41

DS1 back from Manc today. Nightmarish journey - it was a 6hr round trip (only 124 miles in total). DS has just found out he will be based at Preston hospital for 3 years from next Sept - just when I was getting used to the trip to Manc and the various shops, restaurants, coffee shops etc
Think he will really miss the gigs/friends there.

Changes the dynamics in the family really doesn't it when they return from uni?

gillymum Sat 16-Dec-06 15:05:53

DS returning tonite for C'mas break. Am all excited but I know he'll spend tomorrow in bed while I hover outside.

Know what you mean by the slightly irritated tone when you ring - I get that too. I suppose we're just sad old things who never have anything exciting to report (how true)!

Enjoy the holiday season everyone and remember how nice it is to have them home - even when the washing is piled high and you've had to buy them presents to give to Gran/Siblings!

Lilymaid Sun 17-Dec-06 12:12:48

DS back from Nottingham on Tuesday (has visited girl friend over long weekend after the end of term). Looking forward to the strange smell of fermentation at the bottom of the dirty linen. I think I shall ask him to sort his washing into piles as I can't face the job myself (particularly the turning the socks the right way round etc bit).

WhereDidTheYearsGo Wed 10-Jan-07 23:26:41

lol gillymum about buying the presents for granny and siblings - we had that, and also having to pay to send granny's presents Special Delivery cos dd had waited till she got home to get me to post them so she woudn't have to pay the postage...!

Just got used to dd being home and she's back off again on Saturday!

mumof3teens Thu 11-Jan-07 09:27:24

Yes, DS1 back to uni on Saturday. He has been a bit annoying this holiday - "treating this place like an Hotel" (DH). All the same I will miss him. Don't think he can wait to get back and see mates/girlfriend etc.

mumof3teens Mon 14-May-07 15:49:48

Well, DC will soon be back home for Summer - the year has flown by. Got a call from DS1 a couple of weeks ago to say house had been broken into. His mate was in the house and was punched and left with black eyes by 7 or 8 thugs. DS1 was punched, but thankfully not injured. They stole DS1s camera and mobile phone and damaged his computer. They took his mates Computer and various other items . Thankfully though neither of them were seriously injured, as the thugs had knives. Be glad when he is home .

Lilymaid Mon 14-May-07 20:36:39

DS1 will be living next year in the most burgled street in Britain. He told me this as a matter of pride (almost) Having read the last posting I am getting even more worried.

Lilymaid Sat 30-Jun-07 13:14:10

Well the little darlings should all be back home now - or at least they will have dumped their belongings in the hall and disappeared to somewhere more congenial. I have had to wash a phenomenal amount of clothes and bedding. DS (end of 2nd year) has an internship in London for the vacation and is coming with me on the train each morning. Amazingly, for a boy who rarely got up before lunch time at University (or at home) he is now pushing me out of the house at 7.30 each morning.

lilymaid-is he going to leeds? dh lived on that street!

Lilymaid Sat 30-Jun-07 14:59:39

Nottingham! The University's Press Office even noted it in its press round up last year:
"Nottingham Evening Post 25/4: Kimbolton Avenue in Lenton, Nottingham, has been dubbed Britain’s most burgled street in two national newspapers — several of the residents, including University of Nottingham students, are unhappy at being misquoted."
Leeds must have lost its pre-eminence in the "crime ridden town to send your child to university" league table.
I pay his contents insurance!

aaah-times have changed! it used to be hyde park road in leeds! they were burgled 3 times in about 6 months and then they disturbed burglars breaking into next door and the burglars came back next day and set fire to their shed! they moved out that day!!!

AttilaTheMum Fri 13-Jul-07 18:48:18

Can't believe it's almost a year since I started this thread - I've changed my name and everything...
DS had a great time in his first year - he's currently somewhere between Amsterdam & Berlin with some of the friends he'll be sharing a house with next year.
I really don't want to think about what they might have been up to in Amsterdam...

mumof3teens Wed 05-Sep-07 10:03:33

Just about to set off to take DS1 back to uni for his 3rd year sad. Doesn't really seem to get much easier. Didn't help that he didn't have his confirmation that he could move into his house until yesterday pm (after heated telephone discussion between me and estate agent). Starts uni tomorrow, so cutting it a bit fine. Only gets 2 weeks at Xmas and a week at Easter and only (!) 6 weeks next summer. This summer has flown by.

Lilymaid Thu 06-Sep-07 17:01:40

DS soon back to university for 3rd year too. He's been doing an internship in London over the holidays so is now getting really grown up! He needs more curtains for the new student house, so I shall have to take up a box of old ones - black outs were requested so they can sleep the days away!

mumof3teens Fri 07-Sep-07 09:13:51

So I don't suppose you saw much of him this summer then Lilymaid? What is he studying?

This thread is not accepting new messages.