Accounting - any advice?

(6 Posts)
Scoobyblue Fri 13-Jun-14 18:43:53

I would go straight for becoming a chartered or CIMA accountant. Three years of exams and on the job training. You don't need an accountancy degree as the first year is a conversion to accountancy course and the other two years are the exams for the professional qualification. If you are numerical and have experience of banking, you should be able to do it.

TalkinPeace Mon 09-Jun-14 22:10:20

agree about AAT

Sammydean40 Thu 08-May-14 12:59:17

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Sunnydaze1982 Tue 11-Feb-14 21:52:01

Memetric??? I meant numerical!

Sunnydaze1982 Tue 11-Feb-14 21:51:00

Hello

AAT is a really great way of getting a board overview of accounting. It takes 3 years though and can be done through most colleges, I'm not sure if they offer distance learning. To become fully qualified you would need to complete further studies ie CIMA or ACCA. I went down the AAT route followed by CIMA (almost completed, I took a break to have my children!), by doing AAT you would be exempt for come CIMA or ACCA papers.

The other alternative would be to go straight into CIMA or ACCA (there are others), I think because of you memetic background this would be a consideration.

It's a long slog to become qualified which has pushed me to my limits but I'm glad I've gone into accountancy. Good luck!

MrsTMT Tue 11-Feb-14 11:52:56

Hi,

I have been working in banking for nearly 15 years now in back office/settlements. Have been thinking for a while about learning something else and
I have always been interested in accounting. (I love working with numbers and figures) We work fairly closely with our finance dept and that side definitely interests me. Just not sure how and where to start? Open university? Accounting courses online?

I suppose at first I would like to learn the basics to see if I understand it all..! shock

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now