Choosing a sixth form - school won't give me a breakdown of A level results by subject

(11 Posts)
sashh Mon 25-Nov-13 09:15:11

The only thing your daughter should be concerned about is her own results. What will the VI form do for her as an individual.

A friend's son started uni this year, he did terribly in A Levels, but he had done terribly at AS and AS resits, abut the school were still supporting him through his A Levels.

There were only 2 others in the class for one subject. One a very capable student and one who repeated the AS year.

So if you looked at the stats only 33.3% would have got above a D grade. It looks lousy, but when you look at the 3 individual students their needs were being met and they got the grades they were able to get.

spikeyiscool Fri 22-Nov-13 15:56:55

I don't think this would relate to the school I am talking about starballbunny as it is a large comprehensive in London with over 200 pupils and classes simply don't run with small numbers.

Having said that, surely, what ever the size of the school, this info needs to be made available to help people make informed decisions?

NoComet Fri 22-Nov-13 15:35:30

I'd have thought many schools couldn't give a breakdown by subject because some courses have very small numbers and it pretty much tells their peers and local busy bodies pupils results.

DD's primary is on the SATs reporting boundary and you can make some pretty good guesses, who didn't get their expected L5

spikeyiscool Fri 22-Nov-13 15:28:00

I agree that the school probably isn't hiding a raft of A* results if they are so unwilling to hand the info over.

Blast!

bruffin Fri 22-Nov-13 15:13:03

Both 6th form prospectuses we got last week had a breakdown of A levels by subject and grades. but they were leaflets inside the prospectus which you picked up at the open evening. The download on the schools' website didnt have the results.

SilverApples Fri 22-Nov-13 14:57:06

OFSTED do check year on year results, in order to make that decision of whether to let the college off an inspection.

Funnily enough I am having the same problem with DDs school. They will provide an overall figure of results but not subject by subject.
But they are quite sneaky when it comes to A level results. They keep sending out letters and flyers about how no student of the school failed any A level in the past 2 years.
It's only when you delve a bit deeper that you discover that 64% of the students got Ds and Es which, yes technically is a pass. But they don't tell you that, they don't tell you anything you have to find it yourself

spikeyiscool Fri 22-Nov-13 14:40:24

Last Ofsted was in 2009 (it was good so Ofsted wrote saying they won't inspect again until this year at the earliest).

SilverApples Fri 22-Nov-13 14:11:15
SilverApples Fri 22-Nov-13 14:09:40

No, all our local colleges do a breakdown, and it's on their websites.
Odd thing to be secretive about, unless they have something to hide.
What did their last OFSTED say?

spikeyiscool Fri 22-Nov-13 13:59:48

Is this normal?

There are highlights on their news page of their website, but no specific breakdown of results by subject area. I have spent weeks emailing and phoning and finally got two paragraphs back saying they don't provide this info. End of.

How is my daughter expected to be able to make an informed decision about whether to apply to the sixth form (which looked great when we visited) if this info isn't available?

I am considering making a FOI request for this. Has anyone else come across this problem? Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now