Who's DC are coming home from A2's in tears?

(18 Posts)
amumthatcares Tue 11-Jun-13 12:33:18

My DD did yesterday sad. She did the first of 2 exams in one subject and knows it didn't go at all well. She had been getting A's and A*'s in lesson essays and has revised relentlessly, but it was all so different in the exam. I feel for these kids that do so well in class and then 90 minutes in an exam room can totally destroy all the effort.

monikar Tue 11-Jun-13 13:40:48

Not A2, but DD came home several times after her AS exams in tears - at least she has finished now, it was a long haul.

I know what you mean - they work so hard and then it all comes down to what happens in the exam. So much depends on the questions and how nervous they feel.

There have been days when I could have cried with her as I have felt so sorry for her. It's very difficult for them and for us.

mumblechum1 Tue 11-Jun-13 13:46:03

What subject was it OP, and which exam board? DS has found that sometimes great long questions with lots of marks have been allocated to a bit which was only covered by a couple of paragraphs in the text book so he's had to do rather a lot of waffling!

amumthatcares Tue 11-Jun-13 14:00:37

It was psychology mumble and AQA. For DD it was the sheer volume of theorists and statistics to recall and as monikar says, it all comes down to the questions and nerves. I could cry for DD too sad

mumblechum1 Tue 11-Jun-13 14:31:51

Oh dear. A levels are not easy, by any means. Hopefully if it was a really hard one, the grade boundaries will come down a bit.

NewFerry Tue 11-Jun-13 16:21:49

DS sat an exam yesterday and was the only person in the school taking the exam. He thought it was hard, but hasn't got the comfort of being able to chat/moan/commiserate to others coming out of the same exam.

Hope your dd is feeling better today amumthatcares, and that her next exam is better.

xylem8 Wed 12-Jun-13 15:56:34

A hard exam is usually a good thing for brighter kids, the grade boundaries are lower and that favours the kids who know their stuff rather than a higher grade boundary which trips up anyone who makes even teh slightest silly mistake.

StabInTheDark Wed 12-Jun-13 21:28:15

DD has arrived home after 3 exams very very deflated. She thinks she's missed her grades for uni which has meant she's been very demotivated for the others. I know she was particularly upset after history- she thought the questions were worded weirdly and in her words, she 'just didn't put across a decent argument.'

I was gobsmacked when she showed me just how much there is on the syllabus and how much depends on the question they get in those few hours in the exam room.

Oh I feel for them sad

amumthatcares Thu 13-Jun-13 09:27:58

Aaw..our poor DC! Such pressure. Thank you NewFerry, she is sitting the second part of Sociology this morning, the first exam she's had since Mondays tears so we will see what this afternoon brings. Will it be this: sad or this: grin lol

beingamummy - me too!!! There are so many different elements to each subject and SO much to take in and remember. As DD wants to do a degree in Criminology, she thrives at the crime elements of both Sociology and Psychology but is weak in some other elements, like the religion in psychology on Monday. My DD is also now very worried that she will miss her grades sad.

Good luck to them all on the exams they have left to sit and their pending results (I don't think I'll have any fingers left, let alone nails, by the time we find out!)

StabInTheDark Thu 13-Jun-13 11:33:09

Exactly- genuinely couldn't believe the sheer amount of stuff they have to learn that doesn't even have a mention in the exam. Pot luck on the day I suppose sad Fingers crossed for your DD this morning- hope she's feeling more positive after this one!

Criminology sounds fab. Where does your DD want to go? My DD was very torn between Sociology and English so ending up choosing Glasgow so she can do both in her first year! She has her heart set on there now and I know she'll be gutted if she misses the grades.

xylem8 Thu 13-Jun-13 11:37:11

2 exams today! Physics in the morning and maths in the afternoon (it might be the other way round) Morning exam finished an hour ago but no text as yet {we need a nail biting emoticon}

amumthatcares Fri 14-Jun-13 16:22:15

beingamummy - thank you. Yes, the exam went much better - the topic was crime, so very much went in her favour wink. Last one on Monday (second part of Psychology). Good luck to your DD too smile. Wow, two subjects! That's fab. DD did Sociology at GCSE and A level and has possibly been her all time favourite subject. She has firmed University of Leicester as they have a great Criminology Dept.

xylem8 2 exams in one day, that's tough!! Hope they went ok smile - haha nailbiting emoticon would be pretty damn useful on MN!

PercyIsGreen Sun 16-Jun-13 18:17:22

My DD has psychology and biology exams tomorrow and is upstairs revising in tears and I don't know what to do apart from supply food and drinks and keep saying 'you can only do your best' like my dad told me 30 years ago and I am cringing hearing myself saying it

webwiz Sun 16-Jun-13 18:53:13

Percy your poor DD I think in your situation I would wrestle the books away from her and get her to have a walk round the block with you to clear her head.

Yellowtip Sun 16-Jun-13 19:20:51

I agree completely with webwiz; she needs a break. If she says she's reluctant, tell her she can talk you through a topic while you walk - talking through something out loud is usually far more beneficial than staring at notes and the fresh air/ exercise will help her to sleep. Poor thing. And don't cringe - your dad was right! I hear myself saying what my parents said all the time.....

FannyMcNally Sun 16-Jun-13 19:37:25

Dd2 feels she can only concentrate on one exam at a time so with two close together the second one only gets a few hours revision! She has been up all night at least three times in the last fortnight. I just let her get on with it and I know she has cried a couple of times about just not knowing what to do for the best. I keep saying it won't be the end of the world if she doesn't get her grades but she wails how much she wants to go to Birmingham and she's not interested in her insurance. I can see a re-sit year coming up....

Pyschology AS re-sit tomorrow then PE on Tuesday. I believe English Lit is over but could be wrong.

Good luck everyone!

NewFerry Sun 16-Jun-13 20:10:15

Home straight now. 3 exams this week, so not easy, BUT then it's all done till the results come out.
Good luck to everyone still with exams this week

mindgone Mon 17-Jun-13 00:11:00

Stressy few days here now on the home straight, mon biology, tue maths and wed chemistry. The last day he had without studying was Christmas Day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now