DC with an A* offer for university?

(99 Posts)
MummyMastodon Sun 02-Jun-13 20:26:27

Who has a son or daughter taking A2 that includes one or more A* ?

Join me in nail-biting and envy of the 'easy' AAA offer holders.

DD needs A*AA for her first choice, (Oxford) insurance is a nice AAB (Bristol) but she reeeally wants Oxford (Bristol looks wonderful too, but apart from anything else, if she goes there as her insurance she might not even get a place in halls, which wouldn't be a great start)

A* just seems so relentless - 90% overall in A2 year. One bad exam can blow it all out of the water. She is on track for A*A*A at the moment, and resitting a rogue January module to hopefully bring the A* back within reach for her third subject. But it all seems so dependent on a couple of hours in the exam room!

I suppose I should just be grateful that it's only one A* required, I know Cambridge and some of the London Unis can make offers for two or three shock

alreadytaken Tue 04-Jun-13 20:48:33

I have a child with an offer from Cambridge, but at least it's for medicine so the backup is 3As. I do not relish the idea of possibly having to find accommodation for the back-up. wine and my sympathy to anyone worrying about their child missing an offer.

For most courses many universities take people who just miss their offer, it's a difficult task to judge how many will make offers and making too many offers is more of a problem than making too few. The relaxation of the rules for certain grades means that someone missing a 3A offer still has a fair chance of a place. Someone missing a 3C offer might be offered a slightly different course or might find a better option than the debts of a university place. Universities are generally not open about it as the extent to which they do it can vary a lot from year to year.

Although some universities make very high offers they may also be quite good at predicting who will get them. That seems to be true at Cambridge where many applicants go on to achieve more than the offers. I would join you but I'm taking a break from mumsnet until the exams are over.

MummyMastodon Tue 04-Jun-13 21:00:59

Gosh, med at Cambridge, well done to your DC alreadytaken.

If it does turn out that we need our insurance choice, but DD is too late for Halls, I might suggest that she asks if she can defer for a year (if she wants to) and travel. I just think that starting first year in a scrabbled for student house instead of halls would be a bit crap.

Now I'm worried that I should be taking a break from mumsnet until after the exams, too - eep - is there something I should be doing? <worries>

ajandjjmum Tue 04-Jun-13 21:09:02

DS accepted an AAA offer from Durham three years ago for Physics. He got A* (in Physics), A, B and after a week messing around, Durham finally rejected him. I understand the stress!!! We were all gutted.

He took his last exam yesterday for his Physics degree at Sheffield and will be starting a Masters at Imperial in September. Life works out. Try not to stress - I know it's easier said than done. smile

MummyMastodon Tue 04-Jun-13 21:41:13

ajandjj - that's harsh, and rotten of them to string it out for so long sad

Yellowtip Tue 04-Jun-13 21:56:12

That seems incredibly harsh ajandjjmum. Was the B in a relevant subject? As I said earlier, Durham has had its fingers burned a bit with its initial foray into A* offers, it sounds as though your DS fell foul. I hope he enjoyed Sheffield though and Imperial Masters should be fab - does he need a First?

alreadytaken the better the university the more likely it is that offerees will exceed their offers. The cosy thing about the AAA offers for high achievers was the fact that they could relax at A level time, pretty confident that they'd make their first choice offer. DS1 got the last of the Oxford AAA offers for Medicine and was very chilled last June. As it was he got 6A* (and didn't take Maths). He did work, he always does, but he didn't have this horrible stress of having to get a particular very high score. I'm sure the lack of stress helped him. I'm not sure what your evidence is for thinking Cambridge offerees

Yellowtip Tue 04-Jun-13 21:59:23

What happened there? confused.

I'm not sure what your evidence is for thinking Cambridge offerees exceed their offers in greater measure than at any other top table UK university? Please share!

Millais Tue 04-Jun-13 22:00:56

Yes DS1 has an A*AA offer- he doesn't help my nerves by constantly saying "A* is often a matter of luck on the day- one poor question and it has gone!"

Yellowtip Tue 04-Jun-13 22:05:56

No Mummy there's not much you can do smile. Stay calm in the background, provide decent food, kick them off to bed not too late, appear completely unstressed.

MummyMastodon Tue 04-Jun-13 22:09:23

Good luck to him, Millais. He's right, kind of - but, at least they have three chances (assuming his A* can be in any subject)

Yellowtip Tue 04-Jun-13 22:11:36

And if it's any comfort I've always known what time all of mine go into these wretched exams, I clock watch, I fret and I don't ever dare phone them until they phone me. I've no idea really how I'm still alive. Vicarious Finals are the worst by far, so you can look forward to that smile I suppose the DDs having babies will compare but I'll probably be allowed to be near the hospital for that....

Millais Wed 05-Jun-13 07:02:39

I am trying to be calm but with 4 doing exams; 3 GCSEs and one A levels I am struggling. Have made sure the cupboards are full of stress relieving food and that I only wake up the exam people each day! Good luck to everyone else- and their dcs!

Yellowtip Wed 05-Jun-13 08:04:34

Triplets Millais?

BeckAndCall Wed 05-Jun-13 08:13:24

<doffs cap at yellow for her outwardly super calm attitude, which clearly works a treat>

<suffers hyperventilation thinking of millais and her three lots of GCSEs this summer. Had cold sweat thinking of three lots if UCAS applications in two years time>

We will most likely have our first A* offer next year - the elder two had traditional AAA offers (RG, not Oxbridge). At least with a 3 A offer you can do the Math - 'if you already have 95 UMS you only need 60 UMS this time around' etc which was not too stressful......

wordfactory Wed 05-Jun-13 08:16:56

Triplets?!?

Fucking hell. I have twins and am dreading public exams!

ajandjjmum Wed 05-Jun-13 09:52:58

Yellowtip - it was harsh, but he survived, and has enjoyed Sheffield. The offer from Imperial has given him an added boost though - I think the Durham messing around did leave him thinking he wasn't quite good enough. He's done well - a high 2:1 seems most likely, and he's done other stuff whilst at uni.

All I wanted to say to everyone was that although it's so stressful at exam time, even if things don't work out as you'd hope, it's not the end of the world (although it might seem it at the time!)

xylem8 Wed 05-Jun-13 10:25:33

A*AA for Southampton Mech Eng
There is always an element of luck I think in getting an A*. Just as long as he isn't unlucky on all 3 subjects!

xylem8 Wed 05-Jun-13 10:27:04

I think as parents it is really important to distance yourself emotionally from it a bit.Your son or daughter has enough on with their own nerves without having you nervous for them too!

Slipshodsibyl Wed 05-Jun-13 10:34:07

I would so like it if we could move to post A Level applications.

Moominmammacat Wed 05-Jun-13 14:57:50

Yes MummyMastodon ... lying in the garden with the cats for most of the day. Seems you can either do maths or can't at this level. Mystery to me though.

Millais Wed 05-Jun-13 17:48:29

Yes indeed! The cold sweats and sleepless nights come when I think of 4 sets of University fees and maintenance.
Makes the nightly "How did it go?" questions a bit tricky. One doesn't want it mentioned, one is highly anxious and needs to go through it step by step and the other is in the "Yeah it was ok" frame of mind.

Millais shock and flowers at the thought of three "how did it go " conversations.

MummyMastodon Wed 05-Jun-13 19:09:26

Triplets.

Wow.

Just..Wow.

I am.. speechless with admiration for Millais.

If I had to look after triplets and one sib, they wouldn't be taking exams, they'd be roaming naked and feral in the woods feeding on acorns.

<has to go for a little lie down just thinking about it>

Millais Wed 05-Jun-13 20:27:17

No they do wear clothes now- a few years back- not so much smile . Really it isn't any more than just 4 children but at these times it does feel a bit mad. But anyway the Physics A level today was "pretty good" so that is a positive.

Yellowtip Wed 05-Jun-13 21:31:50

Are the three triplets all at the same school Millais? And the eldest? And are the triplets all one gender or not? Can't even begin to imagine it but it must have lots of plusses I'm guessing?

Millais Wed 05-Jun-13 22:33:33

Triplets are BGB and my eldest is a boy so all the boys are at one school.
Yes huge plusses and despite it being totally unplanned and a huge shock I am very glad it happened.

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now