PhD stipend

(6 Posts)
kritur Sat 27-Apr-13 20:17:57

Check how it is paid... I did my PhD at 2 institutions as my supervisor got promoted as I went into 3rd year. In my first institution I was paid monthly which was easy but in my 2nd I was paid quarterly which was a pain when budgeting.

Tizwozliz Fri 26-Apr-13 11:50:53

I know it's tax free, I'm comparing the stipend to my post-tax salary which seems the most sensible comparison?

Good point on NI contributions, need to look into that as I'm already missing years due to working abroad. Own a house and live with my partner and our council has scrapped single person discount from April this year so that doesn't apply. No children.

mirry2 Fri 26-Apr-13 11:31:45

You don't pay tax and if you have children you get home responsibility credits towards your state pension

notcitrus Fri 26-Apr-13 11:29:51

You may have initial trouble renting if places say "no students", but if you ask the landlord or get agency to explain you are graduates working for doctorates, it should be ok - though if someone in the house isn't a student, then the house is liable for council tax.

You won't get those years counting towards your state pension unless you work a bit extra and probably pay extra NI contributions.

You don't pay council tax if you are the only adult in the property. If you live with one other adult, the pair of you get a discount on council tax. You can also get discounts on travel expenses - a student railcard is 1/3 off the full price (though you can't always travel during peak time). These things might help?

Tizwozliz Fri 26-Apr-13 08:30:41

Currently in the process of applying for a fully funded PhD. The stipend works out at £70 per month less than my current take home pay which is doable.

Just wanted to check that I'm not missing anything when considering financial implications. Is there anything else I should be aware of when swapping my income from a taxed salary to a stipend?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now