Cost of Books for Undergraduate Nursing Courses

(2 Posts)

To be honest I wouldn't worry about budgeting for books! I know that sounds dreadful, but while some nursing school give out lists prior, many don't now, and students find what they need (and what they don't) as they go along. My DD2 is in her first year and has actually only had to buy a couple.. an awful lot of work is done using online rescources (not Wikipedia grin) and they can pay for access to extra articles etc. My DD2 also uses the library a LOT and many of the Unis (DD2 is at Nottingham) have an online, virtual library..which is fab, accessible from her laptop and instant! I think the only thing we had to buy straight away was Anatomy and Physiology !

Even for my DD1 who is 3rd year medicine we haven't needed to budget.. she talked to other students, found out what was actually useful and then bought just the main book for whichever topic she needed it for. I had , I think, had to send her a max of £50 a term for books in the first year and none since! She also uses the library at Uni a LOT and the students pass text books to eachother. They also get quite a few useful freebies (line the BNF) when joining their unions etc!

whitecloud Wed 24-Apr-13 11:06:19

We are trying to plan budgets etc for dd who is starting a nursing course in the autumn. Can anyone give us an idea of about how much she will need to budget for books? I know this can't be exact, but it would be good to have an idea. Thanks in advance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now