funding for an access course

(7 Posts)
bananananacoconuts Tue 26-Mar-13 07:39:52

I would like to do a degree in social work but have been out of education for 15 years so will need to do an access course first. Am on income support at the moment but dd turns 5 in august so this will change. I don't want to switch to jsa as I want to go to college. Can anyone tell me if there is any help available to mature students on an access course or if i will lose £70 per week for that year? thanks in advancesmile

Yes, I've just got on a access course in September and I'm just like you but dd is a baby.
Student finance are great at helping. There are lots of options. As I already had a NVQ3 it meant I wasn't eligible for government funding.
But
As I turn 24 in August I can apply for a bursary and loan, for mature students. Which works in the same way as student loans. I won't loose my income support if I am on it as my course is under 16 hours per week.
They will also help with childcare should you need it.

Hope I helped

bananananacoconuts Tue 26-Mar-13 12:01:43

thanks! you've helped tremendously! so i need to enquire about places now then! do i just contact the college direct or is there a correct way to do it!

Yes I contacted mine direct they are so helpful smile

creamteas Tue 26-Mar-13 18:14:16

Many social work courses want some experience of working with one or more client groups. So as well as looking for an access course, have a look at any other requirements at the uni you want to study at.

I think you will need to get some experience before you apply for university, I am about to start an access course via the distance learning centre which seems to be quite standard for health care courses, I would make sure you are very clued up on what the university want as it is a competative game. good luck smile

Naz786 Fri 25-Jul-14 22:10:04

Hi I'm due to start a access course in sep if I do the course will I get income support ? Also will I get full paid childcare?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now