Am I too optimistic?

(7 Posts)
Gcsekid Fri 22-Mar-13 18:09:29

I'm looking at Unis and the courses I'm interested in require ABB-AAB, at Gcse I'm currently at 8 A's and 2 B's, I'm taking biology, chemistry, psychology and English language for A level, and I've heard loads of things about how hard A-level actually is compared to Gcse, am I being too optimistic thinking I can get ABB?

senua Fri 22-Mar-13 18:50:13

Believe in yourself and just do the best you can, no-one can ask more than that. Take each step at a time.

boomting Fri 22-Mar-13 19:38:19

Some people suddenly find that they do very well at A Level, whereas others suddenly find that they struggle.

It's really too early to tell how you might do at A Level, so for now you should just do the best that you can, and see how things go.

No, it's good to be optimistic. A Level is a jump up, but plenty of people will get similar GCSEs to yours and go on and get ABB-AAB. Obviously, also, plenty won't, but you don't know which group you'll be in until you go on and try.

Best of luck!

No, that isn't overly optimistic - just work steadily and you should be fine. Don't do what most people do including me and laze about during AS and assume it will be fine and that you will do resits etc, as that is not a good plan - I speak from experience! But my GCSEs weren't as good as yours and I ended up with ABB, so it is definitely possible. But just do the best you can.

senua Sun 24-Mar-13 09:34:25

I'm revisiting this because I feel guilty that I wasn't more positive. I remember being that age and thinking that everyone else was cleverer / prettier / more popular / you name it.

To be on course for 8A and 2B is fantastic. You should be pleased and have confidence (but not be complacent). There is a book called A letter to my sixteen year old self where adults look back and give advice to their younger selves. They all say, "Believe in yourself. You are so much better than you think you are. Go out, have fun and conquer the world."

Aim high. The worst that can happen is that you make a wrong choice and waste a year, which is no big deal.

Don't think that it is all about grades. Universities get thousands of applicants every year with similar results. To make yourself stand out, do some work experience as that really shows initiative and commitment (actions speak louder than words).

Good luck, but remember that you make your own luck.smile

funnyperson Sun 24-Mar-13 14:33:18

Optimism is good.
Your gcses sound good.
Your A level aims sound good.

Good, Better, Best, never let them rest, till good is better and better is best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now