Can anyone talk to me about Exeter.

(19 Posts)
SlowlorisIncognito Wed 03-Apr-13 15:20:21

I know a few people who have been to Exeter university, as it is quite local to me. I believe their accomadation can be quite expensive- on their website, they say the average studen cost of living in the city is £8500 www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/money/livingcosts/ which seems very high.

It does have a reputation for being very white upper-middle class, and there have been some allegations of racism in the press recently. However, I do not think this is especially widespread, and I am sure you can avoid that type of person once you are there www.independent.co.uk/student/student-life/cancelled-safer-sex-ball-is-just-the-tip-of-the-iceberg-for-campus-scandal-at-exeter-8496668.html might give you some idea of the recent contoversy.

Having said that, all the people I know who have been have enjoyed their time there, and I think it is a nice city, although on the small side, and it is very close to the countryside and beaches, which can be nice.

goingmadinthecountry Thu 28-Mar-13 21:32:37

My dd turned it down but lots of her friends are there (all years) and love it. She's visited a couple of times and finds it too small - says it's a bit of a toytow. Dd's at Bristol so bigger city. Suits her more.

pinkbear82 Fri 22-Mar-13 20:18:09

Have lived in Exeter for 29 years so perhaps I'm a bit bias!
The uni is quite a mix of old and new, and takes some exploring - it's also quite spread out. Certainly now as modern or new age as some uni's out there!!

The city it's self has lots to offer. Yeah it's not massive but you don't need to go miles to find things. And once groups settle in and go around together I think it makes it all the more interesting.

I guess if your used to a massive city and having to travel to different parts for different things its small and yocal and possibly a bit clicky. But it really is a friendly place with lots to explore.

Dull rainy days never show anywhere off to full potential! Don't write us off because of that wink

RustyBear Fri 22-Mar-13 20:08:35

The rahs (in my day the 'green wellies' - this was before everyone had green wellies) are a minority- they are just a very vocal minority, so they seem more numerous than they are.

Copthallresident Fri 22-Mar-13 20:01:50

DDs friends at Exeter do complain about the density of rahs / sloanes, like Nottingham it seems to be a particular magnet, so the binge drinking/ gap yah / laddish culture. I suppose that could be a turn off or attraction!! However there are plenty of students who don't turn up to lectures in Jack Wills pyjama bottoms.....

What is he going to study?
DD1 was at St Lukes campus (she's a med student), which is old and beautiful and the students steak round the quad and a quick walk away from the town centre..which might not be pretty but was very good for student living..great nights out, some lovely pubs and clubs and plenty of opportunity for jobs.
She's now down in Truro for her next two clinical years and finding it very quiet!

offerday Thu 21-Mar-13 22:03:38

Didn't you go through Reed Hall Gardens, or the path from Stocker Road to the Maths building?

I don't know if DS did. I didn't because I had to move the car - parking is very difficult because they are so anti motorist - so I left campus and went to check out the town instead.

RustyBear Thu 21-Mar-13 21:34:03

Didn't you go through Reed Hall Gardens, or the path from Stocker Road to the Maths building?

DH and I met at Exeter, and 30-odd years later, DD went there - there are certainly more buildings now than there were then (and we were pretty outraged at them having built over the spot where DH proposed to me on Lopes Hall lawn) but it's only Lafrowda that's really awful.

recall Thu 21-Mar-13 21:30:19

I did a course at Exeter Uni, I think the Campus is nice, nice grounds, and some nice buildings. As for Exeter, I think it is quite a beautiful city in parts, I have lived here for 17 years, and always feel very safe, even late at night it feels ok. The night life is good on Exeter.

offerday Thu 21-Mar-13 21:23:33

His biggest reaction was when he went to an open day at Warwick. He loathed the place and couldn't leave fast enough!

I was discussing our Exeter experience with someone and, in trying to describe it, realised that it is very similar to Warwick: the University has soulless modern architecture and the once-historic town centre is a horrible concrete rebuild after the war.

Some people have described the campus as beautiful but what they mean is that there is an awful lot of landscaping to try to hide the awful buildings.

NewFerry Thu 21-Mar-13 21:17:34

It is interesting how people regard unis differently. DS2 did a summer physics course at Exeter and came back feeling very underwhelmed, whereas I expected he would have loved it there.

And he's been to warwick and totally loved it. In fact, he's about to firm it as his first choice.

UnEggspectedItemInBonnetArea Thu 21-Mar-13 21:06:45

What does he want to study?

My experience is that it is an excellent university with very dedicated academic staff.

greyvix Thu 21-Mar-13 21:01:25

Two of my DDs went there. It is a great uni and the town and uni are very close so, though accommodation is expensive, you don't have transport costs. What was the weather like when you visited? It's a lovely campus, with great views, but it may have not appeared in its best light. Similarly, the town is mixed and you may have seen the tattier end.
I love it. Having said that DS, who has a place there, isn't keen, just because his sisters went there. Shame!

tollyandfeste Thu 21-Mar-13 20:02:36

Exeter is fab. The uni is great and the city is lovely too. Yes is is small and no you dont get the nightlife and shopping like you do in the bigger cities. But you don't get the crime either. I am now 33 but happily used to walk home with the girls late at night. Small enough that can you walk or cycle anywhere. It is 30 mins from about 10 beaches, Dartmoor National Park etc and there are great train links to London and Bristol. There is a great arts scene, and outdoorsy type things going on. I mean it depends what your DS likes doing. If he wants to shop til he drops in high street type stores and then go out drinking until 6am, then maybe Exeter isnt for him. However if he likes being sociable and joining in various interests, and wants somewhere where he can be relatively safe while he explores his independance, then Exeter would be fab. Good luck, what an exciting time of life for him.

fussychica England Thu 21-Mar-13 18:53:01

Nephew there doing Economics - seems to be very happy. Never been to the city myself but always meant to go. You could have a look on www.studentroom.co.uk for views of those studying there.

Like webwiz DD, DS went by feel - had offers from more prestigious places but he just didn't warm to them and couldn't see himself there.

Lilymaid Thu 21-Mar-13 15:35:59

I love the place (was student there). DS1 turned down an offer (nice lowish one too) and wasn't enthused. His biggest reaction was when he went to an open day at Warwick. He loathed the place and couldn't leave fast enough!

webwiz Thu 21-Mar-13 13:44:40

I think that sometimes the final choice of university does come down to how you feel about somewhere. DD2 didn't really like one university that is well respected and that lots of people have a fantastic time at so she just crossed it off the list. It only matters if the one you don't like is much better than your other choices.

Lifeisontheup Thu 21-Mar-13 08:36:56

My DS is there (went without visiting at all) and loves it. The city is small enough to walk round easily but has enough going on to be exciting. He found the uni really friendly and easy to navigate. No regrets at all.
What will your DS be studying?

offerday Thu 21-Mar-13 08:27:51

DS put Exeter University down on his list without seeing the place so yesterday, offer holders day, was the first time we had visited. I know that it is supposed to be one of the places to go but it left me totally cold. The city itself also underwhelmed me.
I tried to be as neutral as possible and not influence DS but he didn't feel the love either. Are we missing something?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now