Funding advice (welsh student)

(5 Posts)
IdreamofFairies Mon 18-Mar-13 23:57:23

my daughter gets help with her uni funding as wales still does this.

my son however is going to a drama college fees still need to be paid have been told as its not a uni he doesnt qualify for the grant.

does anyone know if there is a way for us to be able to get something towards his living costs at least.

he could get a student loan but that will only cover the fees.

looking a 9,000 fees and then 400pcm rent plus living costs on top of that. he will get a part time job but that will have to fit in around his classes

any help greatly appreciated. TIA

PattyPenguin Tue 19-Mar-13 21:22:21

Which college is he going to, IDF? And will he be doing a degree course?

According to the RWCMD website, if you live in Wales and you're doing a degree course, you can get the same help as any other undergraduate. http://www.rwcmd.ac.uk/other/fees_and_funding/undergraduate_funding.aspx
Sorry, can't make it a hyperlink - cut and paste into the address box if you're interested.
Also, it's worth checking with the college he'll be attending about possible bursaries/scholarships.

IdreamofFairies Sat 23-Mar-13 23:34:59

thanks no not a degree course

we have filled in a scholarship form so fingers crossed.

Which college is it? Some have other forms of funding.

northwelshmum Sun 31-Mar-13 18:47:09

It's not just about whether it's a degree course or not, it's also about the type of College, my DS started a degree course in Audio Production at Liverpool SAE, in September 2012. The course is affliliated to Middlesex Uni, and so he will receive a degree from Middlesex Uni, (a publicly funded Uni), however the fact that SAE institute in Liverpool is classed as a private institute means the Welsh Assembly will provide no financial help whatsoever, in spite of the fact I had verbally checked and was given re-assurance he would be treated as every other Welsh student, by our local authority. I have tried all avenues looking for assistance with this, including correspondence with our Education Minister. So much for the Welsh Assembly assurance that "all" welsh students would receive support through higher education!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now