do you (or your dcs) have a degree? what subject and what's your occupation?

(104 Posts)
out2lunch Sun 17-Mar-13 00:08:43

and is your (or your dcs) degree relevant to said occupation?

trying to figure out dds future here smile

thanks

poopnscoop Sun 17-Mar-13 07:51:22

I have a 4 yr Design Degree but changed careers 7 years ago to go into Early Years... Still studying to further my EY knowledge.. Will never stop studying I think, love learning.

My one brother has Honours as an Environmental and Geographical Scientist... He's now at seminary to become a pastor.

Other sibs still do what they studied for initially... Teaching and Finance/Banking.

Whyriskit Sun 17-Mar-13 07:51:33

I have a joint degree in Philosophy and Psychology from a RG university, and a post-grad in career guidance. I'm a careers adviser.
It's important your DD studies a subject she is genuinely interested in, at a uni she wants to be at. The Prospects website: www.prospects.ac.uk, has a section called what do graduates do, which is useful in terms of seeing the types of work people tend to go in to.

Iteotwawki Sun 17-Mar-13 07:53:03

BSc in biomedical sciences, bachelor of medicine / bachelor of surgery. And a post grad fellowship. I'm a doctor, degree highly relevant to subsequent career.

Suspect this answer is the least useful so far smile

OwllwOOwllwO Sun 17-Mar-13 07:55:50

I've got a degree in Fine Art, worked in a few galleries/exhibitions and as a make-up artist. I'm now training to be a special effects make-up artist. smile

barefootwalker Sun 17-Mar-13 07:56:40

I did a BSc in Physiotherapy and work as a physiotherapist. There are careers like mine where you can only do the job with a degree on that subject (eg medicine, veterinary science, nursing, occupational therapy...). However, there are uni's that offer conversion courses for many of these now which means if she were to do a different topic but then change her mind about career, she could get a degree in one of these in fewer years than the full courses. Good luck. I agree strongly with previous posters that this is her choice rather than yours but I'm sure she's glad of your help and support.

rubyrubyruby Sun 17-Mar-13 07:58:37

They definitely need guidance now, much more choice and decisions seem to have to be made earlier.

DS has business degree and just about to start an MBA. It definitely got him where he is today. Neither I or his Father (who I left when he was 3) even have A levels,

I'm very proud of him.

ImpYCelyn Sun 17-Mar-13 07:59:45

Classics - about to start a PGCE for MFL. My friends from Classics are now teachers, doctors (really), solicitors and barristers for the most part. One is a museum curator in Rome.

OH - Economics and a 2nd in English - he's a French teacher (he is French). He wants to change though.

Zara1984 Sun 17-Mar-13 08:03:05

I have a law degree, an arts degree and a master of laws. I used to be a big firm lawyer but now I work in a comms/tech and legal editing role at an NGO.

My goal for the next 5 years is to start my own business or get a policy/legal/junior management type role (building on my current skills) at a tech company. Yes, I dream of working for Google...

I have a baby DS and would like one more DC in the next 5 years. Quitting big law about 4 years ago and transitioning to a lower-stress role made DS possible!

MrsSchadenfreude Sun 17-Mar-13 08:03:19

I don't have a degree - I had a place to read Russian and German at Birmingham, but my mother threw a wobbler at the last minute and said she wasn't doing without her holidays just so that I could enjoy myself for four years (this was in the days of grants), and I needed to get a job and pay back some of the money that had been spent on me over the years. hmmangry

I mooched around that summer doing temping, then managed to get onto a graduate scheme with just two A levels. This enabled me to move up to London and share a house, which was considerably cheaper than paying my mother rent and commuting as she took a large chunk of my take home pay.

My career has more than kept up with my (largely Oxbridge contemporaries), but I still wish I had a degree, as this would have enabled me to do other things - even quite silly things - a lack of degree has been a bar. To give you an example, I applied to take (through work) an advanced language course at a university in that country (I am quite fluent in the language), but was turned down (at the last minute, having been accepted) as I didn't have a degree, despite my fluency in the language. I could have had a degree in anything irrelevant, from Mime to Archaeology and they would have taken me on the course, but my lack of degree meant that I couldn't do it.

Zara1984 Sun 17-Mar-13 08:05:40

But I want my DCs to be doctors grin

You always are in high demand and your job is respected, you'll never be without a job, and you can transition to different industries (eg pharmaceutical sales) if you don't like practice. If either DH or I were really stuck career wise we'd retrain as medics.

Worley, Manchester is good for Physics, especially astrophysics, as Jodrell Bank is nearby.
Jobs afterwards are anything "sciency" really, Brian Cox did well for himself with a Mcr Physics degree. Teaching is the fallback for physics graduates, but I know folk from my course in all sorts of fields now, from computer programmers to astronomers.

Zara1984 Sun 17-Mar-13 08:07:43

Schadenfreude my mother would've been the same if govt student loans (in NZ) hadn't been available. I ended up with big debts (but paid off now, thankfully). I am sorry she did that to you. You sound like you've really done well for yourself smile

MA in Policy, Management and Government from RG Uni. I work in public sector and have never needed my degree to date grin

BrigitBigKnickers Sun 17-Mar-13 08:11:01

Music ( not Russell group but a well regarded uni in London) then PGCE then MPhil for teaching deaf children.

Not surprisingly- I teach deaf children and am the music co ordinator in the school where I work.

CMOTDibbler Sun 17-Mar-13 08:12:59

Physics - I now work for a manufacturer of medical devices.

DHs degree is geology and chemistry and he works in high value inusrance claims.

tilder Sun 17-Mar-13 08:13:08

There is some great advice on this thread.

I have been surprised how few degrees actually qualify you for a particular career. Apart from things like medicine, vet, some of the science/engineering degree. I do work in the field I studied but would say from a year with 60 students only 4 actually use the subject directly.

If your dc have a clear career path they want to follow, that narrows choice of degree.

Otherwise go for a subject they enjoy and are good at, at the best university for that subject you can.

andadietcoke Sun 17-Mar-13 08:13:18

DH did a sport science degree, then a PGCE and is now a PE teacher.

I did European Studies and Modern Languages at Manchester, with a year working as a parliamentary assistant in the European Parliament. I mention this only because it was that year that opened doors for me when I started looking for jobs, so to some employers it doesn't matter what the course was in if the 'year in industry' has yielded relevant experience.

I now work as a marketing manager and have just finished an MBA as well as a short course in Boston at Harvard Business School. If I could have my time again I'd have done business at uni. As someone earlier mentioned the range of skills and theory taught is relevant and transferable to pretty much any job or profession you could think of. My little brother has just started a business degree after not being sure what career he wanted, and is loving it.

Chocaholics Sun 17-Mar-13 08:16:31

BSc in microbiology and worked as a microbiologist for about 7 years and have since moved into project management but work in the same industry as before.

caughtinagiggleloop Sun 17-Mar-13 08:20:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HolidayArmadillo Sun 17-Mar-13 08:22:28

I have a degree in midwifery. I'm a midwife surprisingly enough grin

SizzleSazz Sun 17-Mar-13 08:23:29

I studied Accounting & Economics, then studied for Chatrered Accountancy exams. (As a poster above said they actually prefer non accountancy graduates so they can teach you from fresh although i did find mine useful). The economics is v useful for understanding the wider economy, how it functions and why (some) economis policy decisions are made.
I went on to work for a Big 4 Accountancy firm and now have a senior commercial finance role in industry

sweetkitty Sun 17-Mar-13 08:26:10

BSc Microbiology

Loved the subject jobs v scarce and not well paid especially where I lived, had to relocate for work.

Worked in the food industry for 8 years now have been a SAHM for the past 9, want to return to work but haven't a clue how to accomplish it hmm

BikeRunSki Sun 17-Mar-13 08:26:34

BSc Physics and Geology
MSc Engineering Geology
PhD Coastal Civil Engineering

Chartered Geologist

I work as a Project Manager for construction, with technical expertise in Engineering Geology (identifying and applying ground conditions to construction).

Polyethyl Sun 17-Mar-13 08:29:06

I did ancient history & archaeology at a Russell group uni. I am now a chartered surveyor. I appear to be unusual in this career as most people I interview and all my colleagues studied property as their degree.

Of my friends that did a history degree - they all became solicitors.

RustyBear Sun 17-Mar-13 08:49:25

I have a degree in History from a university which is now RG, though it wasn't when I was there (1974-77). I then did a PG librarianship course and was a librarian for about 10 years before children. But when I thought about gouging back to work I didn't want to go back into library work and have by strange degrees turned into an IT support manager at a school, for which I have no actually qualifications at all.

DH did Maths at the same university, then Statistics MSc and PhD and is now a statistician.

DD also went to the same university (thirty-odd years later, of course) and took Psychology. She thought about social work, and was going to work for a year before possibly doing a post-grad course. She got a job as activities co-ordination at an old people's home - loved the old people but hated the way the home was run. She then got a job as a resourcer in a recruitment consultancy, through a friend's recommendation. She loved it from the start and six months later she's a trainee consultant and doing very well.

DS did History and Politics at a RG university and his initial idea was the Civil Service, but he left university just as the Civil Service freeze started, so that idea was a non-starter. He's now working for a major publisher in London, but it took him a lot of unpaid/expenses only work experience and internships before he got there.

So of us all, DH is the only one actually working in the field for which he is directly qualified, though the rest of us are using the various skills we learned at university - as caughtinagiggleloop says, you can learn those skills elsewhere, but university does put them in a neat package that employers recognise. Though my DC both luckily got through university before the price label on that package trebled...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now