Maths at university - what jobs after?

(37 Posts)
tharsheblows Wed 20-Feb-13 21:53:56

My son (year 10) asked me tonight what jobs he could do if he did Maths at university. I really don't know but do know that someone here does! Anyone?

MariscallRoad Fri 22-Feb-13 19:26:53

Maths offer opportunities in the careers range that some posters already pointed here. But note these types of jobs are also hunted by other types of graduates. So mathematicians are is competition with others. The fiance sector does not have the same job capacity as in the past. However, an economics or any engineering degree seems that it offers much more employability in wider range of carreers and flexibility.

Lomaamina Sat 23-Feb-13 22:09:51

Academic research: Lots of university research fields use/need mathematicians.

There's also a growing trend for research using/into big data. Get him to look at journalistsresource.org/studies/economics/business/what-big-data-research-roundup for example.

androbbob Sat 23-Feb-13 22:13:02

Well I did a maths and Computer Science degree and now I am a Civil Engineer. My brother did a Engineering degree and now works in IT.

I wanted to be an Accountant but didnt get a job in the interviews.

tharsheblows Wed 27-Feb-13 10:25:00

Thanks - he's read the thread and found it seriously interesting. I think, at the moment, he wants to stay in maths classes forever and simply get paid for it once he's out of university. grin Not sure that's possible...

I think knowing what's out there will help him decide a bit - he does have bits he loves more than others and being able to point and say "well, this career uses a lot of that" makes it all a bit more real.

Thanks again!

tharsheblows he sounds just like my DS1. He is doing Maths and Further Maths A levels now and loves every minute. I showed him this thread as well.

didireallysaythat Fri 01-Mar-13 17:11:34

And there's more to maths that just numbers (in fact a degree in maths doesn't always involve any numbers).

I did maths at university, then did a PhD in molecular biophysics (despite having no chemistry or biology) and now I spend my time working with proteins in drug discovery.

I wish I'd done engineering mathematics though...

DD1 gets really really excited when any of her classes have actual numbers in them (2nd year Maths degree) - it's all letters and abbreviations apparently smile.

alreadytaken Sat 02-Mar-13 17:33:49

he might find this student room thread interesting www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Mathematics_Degree

There is quite a big difference bewtten maths at school and at university. He might want to look at STEP papers, he certainly needs to be aware of them as good maths departments are likely to require them www.admissionstestingservice.org/our-services/subject-specific/step/about-step/

Medical statistics might be interesting but a maths graduate could make a great deal more money elsewhere.

If medicine is still a possibility tell him to do maths instead - less anti-social hours, more money and he won't have to work for the government smile Only the absolutely determined should apply for medicine.

RugBugs Sat 02-Mar-13 17:43:26

DP is doing his secondary maths PGCE, his Brother has a first class masters in mathematical physics from the same Russell group uni and has done sweet FA since graduating in 2010, well, he does have an impressive amount of achievement points on wow and the Xbox but he's not done a days paid work in his life.

bangwhizz Fri 08-Mar-13 14:46:08

As an accountant I would like to point out that there isn't much maths in accounting.

VAVAV00M Fri 08-Mar-13 15:21:27

Robot engineer smile My old maths teacher used to be one gringringrin

tharsheblows Wed 13-Mar-13 22:42:24

Thanks again! I'd be happy with him doing almost all of these things - maybe not sweet FA like your brother-in-law, RugBugs... grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now