Funding a second degree

(20 Posts)
sashh Sat 26-Jan-13 06:28:23

Sorry the stuff was out of date, I'll have another look.

troyandabedinthemorning Fri 25-Jan-13 15:23:15

mariscall, Sadly I think not, as there are no part-time social work courses in wales and I wouldn't be eligible for the NHS bursary in england as a current welsh resident- the welsh bursary only pays out if you study in wales!
I really don't think I want to work pt and study ft while my children are so young- it would mean that I barely saw them or my husband. Perhaps in a few years when they are older, but even then I wouldn't really want to and would feel guilty (wrongly I know) about putting my career over them.
There's a distance learning course in scotland which I've contacted for more information, which might be another option- if I can find a suitable employer- it says you need to be employed for 17.5 hours a week, which would be fine!
I'm just shocked about how difficult it is- I really thought it would be easier to retrain, especially in social work.
Thank you for all your suggestions- I'm sorry if it seems like I'm just shooting them down!

MariscallRoad Fri 25-Jan-13 13:38:37

troyandabedinthemorning you might wish to try this link and see if it is any use to you. routes and part time/FT options

MariscallRoad Fri 25-Jan-13 13:34:25

troyandabedinthemorning do you think it would be possible for you to work PT and do the course PT?

troyandabedinthemorning Fri 25-Jan-13 12:42:09

Hi Sashh- it would great if that were true for this academic year, but I can't find anything to suggest that this is true since tuition fees went up to 9000- 3375 was the maximum fees someone studying first degree course would pay at the time as mariscall says, so I'm not holding out much hope for it being help to me now. I've emailed the people who made that guide to ask if they had any information about the 2013/14 academic year.
If you have any more recent information about this that would be great!

MariscallRoad Fri 25-Jan-13 11:41:00

sashh Social Work degrees do qualify for grant for second undegraduate degree when the student is DSA but do you have recent details as to how much?

MariscallRoad Fri 25-Jan-13 11:20:30

sashh the information on the link you gave on fees of DSA exception relates to 2011/12 when fees were 3,375. Do you have more updated info?

sashh Fri 25-Jan-13 03:54:02

And the DSA will only pay for specific things- which would be helpful, but not solve the fees issue

Yes it does. Well not completely.

page 5

However if you get Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) you will qualify for an exemption. The maximum you will pay for fees on a second degree course will be £3,375 per year.

troyandabedinthemorning Thu 24-Jan-13 18:33:57

No- we live in a private rental property so couldn't take in a lodger. £27000 is just such a huge sum of money it seems insurmountable- if I had it I wouldn't need to retrain! Thanks for the suggestion though, it might help someone else smile

pippop1 Thu 24-Jan-13 18:22:33

Do you have room to take a lodger in? Could you give up one reception room if you have two?

troyandabedinthemorning Thu 24-Jan-13 12:18:07

You would think, but apparently they can't be used for a second undergraduate degree!
There really should be a government scheme of lending fee money! Even if it was on less favourable terms than first time student loans.

boomting Thu 24-Jan-13 12:06:08

A career development loan may be a partial solution...

troyandabedinthemorning Thu 24-Jan-13 11:06:09

thanks for all the good suggestions so far everyone- I will get that book out of the library this week smile
Social work is already eligible for the non-elq lower fees, and a maintenance loan, but not a fees loan which is the problem!
I've contacted the universities and the care council and the situation is the same as in england in that the social work bursary comes from a different pot to the nurse/ midwfie bursary and so doesn't come with tuition fee help- which was bad enough when fees were 3-4 grand, but now they're 9 grand I have no idea how they expect people to pay for them!
I might be able to claim DSA for a mental health issue- I have anxiety and depression, but am worried that this might impact on getting on to the course/ subsequent employment.
And the DSA will only pay for specific things- which would be helpful, but not solve the fees issue smile

boomting Thu 24-Jan-13 09:30:46

I'd suggest simply talking to the relevant university(s). It may very well be that care council bursaries are done on the same basis as NHS bursaries, which allow you a second degree that is funded by the NHS.

sashh Thu 24-Jan-13 04:42:22

Do you have any thing that could count to get you a disabled students' allowance (DSA)?

Dyslexia, health problems etc?

At the moment (I'm sure they will change it soon) if you are entitled to DSA you can do a second degree on the same funding basis as a first degree.

With the OU you could do a unit/module or two and study over a longer period.

Go to your local library and get hold of the 'directory of grant making trusts' - it is a huge book and lists charities that will give financial support.

I used it to supplement my finances at uni. It is hard work and for most you have to be in one or more specific categories.

I used to spend two weeks treating it like a full time job to contact possibilities.

I made a data base and sent a standard letter to about 100 at a time, I would get a response from about 15, and out of that 1 or 2 would have funding available. They seem to like you applying to a number of charities, so put that in your application.

Most were set up in Victorian times so have wonderful phrases like, "This fund is to help a woman of good standing better herself by acquiring a trade", one was for "People of the parish who find themselves impotent".

Also try EGAS - link bellow- also lists sources of funding

troyandabedinthemorning Wed 23-Jan-13 19:14:04

No-one who would sponsor me, but the OU degree in wales says it's open to non-sponsered students if they're employed at an organisation where they can get statutory experience. But I'm not sure where what types of jobs those might be- plus I'm not ready to go back full-time, I figured placements wouldn't be until 2014 at the earliest which would give me time.
The other disadvantage of the ou is I have to fund the whole thing- I wouldn't get any maintenance loan and I'd still have to pay fees (albeit less fees).
It might be the only option though!

creamteas Wed 23-Jan-13 18:40:10

Are there any local organisations that will support you to qualify via the OU?

I have known a couple of people who already had degrees qualify that way.

troyandabedinthemorning Wed 23-Jan-13 17:49:28

The pg course is but not the undergrad course I think, but it is complicated by the fact that I would be studying in wales, so you get a care council bursary not an nhs one.
The university in question suggested I contact the la which still administer student support here in wales and ask them to make an exemption and give me a tuition fee loan!
As far as I can tell I can get a maintenance loan of around 3,500 and a ccsw bursary of 2,500, which comes to about 6000.

I might get a childcare grant, but would need to make up 15% of the cost, so roughly 2,000 a year minimum (assuming maximum help), plus transport to the uni, which would be around 1560 a year.
So costs would be 12500 a year on fees of 9000 and the same for the 8000 uni (its a bit further so transport higher). Which leaves me 6500 year. I cannot see how I can possibly fund that, so I'm looking for suggestions of outside grant and funding really.

titchy Wed 23-Jan-13 17:18:42

Is the course eligible for nhs bursary? Pg social work is but not sure about ug? If so you'd get a loan as exempt course.

troyandabedinthemorning Wed 23-Jan-13 17:10:33

Does any one have any suggestions about how to fund a second degree- I want to study Social Work BSc (the MA/MSc course is not suitable due to a lack of local providers and my caring responsibilities for two small children). But the fees of 8000 * 3 are beyond me. Any ideas?
The annoying thing is that I really didn't want to do my original degree or finish it in the first place, but was persuaded by family, as I'd always have the chance to go back if I wanted to- well I don't now sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now