Any one else chewing their fingers waiting for Oxford offers/rejection?

(19 Posts)
MariscallRoad Thu 17-Jan-13 18:48:49

onlaptopagain I agree, there are many excellent universities around.

onlaptopagain Thu 17-Jan-13 17:46:55

And there are other very good universities around smile..... Oxbridge is not the beginning and end of life.

MariscallRoad Thu 17-Jan-13 15:29:59

Congratulations to rocamadour and thatsnotmynamereally smile, keep up working hard. funnyperson I agree university might indeed become one of the first life changing moments, but there are others too.

funnyperson Thu 17-Jan-13 15:12:52

Congrats to all those who got offers- still remember the sadness ( DS didnt get in) and joy (DD did get in) waiting for the crested envelope in the post before Christmas- definitely a life changing moment for the young person and family.

Has anyone got any experience of appeals? A friend of mine is thinking of appealing against a rejection. What information does one need? What are the chances of success? What should one do increase the chances of success of an appeal?

I can't resist posting in here although I haven't contributed to any Oxford/oxbridge threads before now... DD got offer from her first-choice college via email yesterday and is over the moon, wasn't expecting it to go either way but after all the 'wait for the letter' tension it was a fabulous outcome!

Her college insisted that they would only let UK applicants know via first-class letter, posted last Thursday. We had no letter Friday. No letter Saturday (I even chased the postman down the road to make sure). Tense day Sunday. No letter Monday. Postal frustration! I called and explained the situation, they said they'd email the decision, email arrived while she was in lessons yesterday but didn't open it until she got home-- much rejoicing ensued!

No letter this morning either. I wonder who got it? smile Or it's in postal limbo!

hattymattie Sun 13-Jan-13 16:07:23

Well done all of you - watching this for next year smile

rocamadour Sat 12-Jan-13 09:53:23

Ds got offer from 1st choice college AAA. So proud smile

MariscallRoad Sat 12-Jan-13 02:09:12

Cinnamonnut congratulations smile

cinnamonnut Fri 11-Jan-13 23:54:25

I didn't, no - first time smile

Yellowtip Fri 11-Jan-13 19:30:08

Well done to your DS Lemon and well done too to cinnamonnut. Am I being dim, or did you re-apply? Very well done if you did (and if you didn't smile), it takes a steady nerve to re-apply, if that's you did.

sicutlilium Fri 11-Jan-13 19:02:44

Bumped into 3 neighbours today whose daughters have got in to Balliol, Christchurch and Magdalen respectively.

LemonDrizzled Fri 11-Jan-13 17:59:00

well done cinnamon I remember how much you have been through to get this far.
theas it's maths...

cinnamonnut Fri 11-Jan-13 17:37:57

Got an offer today for law!

Theas18 Fri 11-Jan-13 15:54:05

Well done mini LemonD .... what subject (outing self interest as DS may be going through this next year...)

LemonDrizzled Fri 11-Jan-13 15:10:10

AAAAAAAHh! He got an offer from his second choice college A*A*A! So still a long way to go till it is definite but hooray!!!

I agree Theas my DD had a interview at Cambridge for medicine and didn't enjoy it or like the course. She was rejected but is totally happy and pleased to be on an integrated course elsewhere. It all works out for the best.

Theas18 Fri 11-Jan-13 13:30:49

Fingers crossed for you all. I was there 2yrs ago with DD1 .

Results then were a few days before Xmas and it was a really mean time to get a result! Now will be better I think.

BTW DD was a " no thanks". She was initially upset but not "devastated" . Went to Nottingham,and it couldn't have worked out better. She (and we) think she's got the right course and city for her now (she also has choral scholarship that pays more that Oxford LOL).

We tried to frame it as like the 11+ (which all my kids did) the tests/interviews are to see if an Oxford college degree is the best way for you to study. If it isn't , it doesn't mean you are any less able, but would suit a different method better (she certainly isn't "less able" as she's getting 1sts in her assessments!- she's studying Ancient history)

LemonDrizzled Fri 11-Jan-13 10:56:47

DS gone to college and I'm at work... but he'll be home by lunchtime to check the post and email. They postponed the offers till after Christmas "so you will have the support of your tutors" confused

Thanks

Yellowtip Fri 11-Jan-13 10:46:00

Only for news of DCs' friends this year, not DC themselves. What time does your post arrive? Is your DS there to open the letter? It's such a strange year with the offers coming so late.

Good luck to your DS!

LemonDrizzled Fri 11-Jan-13 10:24:01

just that... better to post here than to harass DS!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now