Career change

(5 Posts)
mumof2princesses Fri 11-Jan-13 00:14:41

smile hi iv always wanted to become a teacher but never got the opportunity because of money and time... iv now decided to return to education and finish my dream iv registered with the OU and im doing a open degree... in maths eng n science.. i cant financially afford it but i have got a student finance which il have to pay back when im earning over 21,000 pa... the best thing is you can chose how many hours your able to study with them and its at your own pace... why dont u look into it further.... if theres anything i can help with give me a shout xxx tc smile xxx

Plumpcious Thu 10-Jan-13 18:43:53

Information here for residents in England (links at the bottom of the page to the rules in Scotland/Wales/NIreland): https://www.gov.uk/student-finance/overview

In England: if you haven't studied at university before then you can get a loan for:

- tuition fees
- maintenance (depends on household income)

These loans you pay back when you start earning a salary over a certain amount. The amount you pay back is a fixed percentage of your salary. You don't pay anything while you're not employed or earning below a certain amount. Think of it as an extra tax rather than a normal loan repayment. If you retire before you've finished repaying the loan then it's written off (they don't send the bailiffs round!).

If your household income is very low you can get a maintenance grant which you don't pay back.

It also says there is extra funding for teacher training students.

Check out the Student Loans Company website for more info about loans: www.slc.co.uk/

BlahBlahBlahhh Tue 08-Jan-13 11:32:28

Thanks for your reply Motherdelicious. I've helped out at both my sons schools over the years with various things. My eldest sometimes comes home from school and says how boring the teachers are. I simply cannot understands this !! It's not difficult to engage children in learning if you make things exciting. I really think I could be good at this, I've got a lot of enthusiasm. Don't get me wrong, I have friends who teach and Im aware of the difficulties they face but I've got to the point where I think life's to short to keep wondering if I could do it and JUST DO IT !

motherdelicious Tue 08-Jan-13 11:15:00

Have you done any shadowing or volunteering? I dis some volunteer work and realised it was not for me. I am pursuing a speech and language therapy course ( waiting on a response to application) which is paid for by the NHS.
You may be able to apply for bursaries. I am glad you are rethinking your career. It is a brave thing to do given that working at the same thing would be easier. I was a physio before Dd came along. Unhappy with my work I thought I needed to look elsewhere before I ended up with regrets.
Good luck.

BlahBlahBlahhh Tue 08-Jan-13 11:07:01

Hi, Im currently a nurse ( part time, working 2 nights per week). I'm good at my job and highly thought of but have always felt it wasn't really the right career for me. I want a job that I feel enthusiasm for and a career in teaching has been on my mind for a few years. The only thing which has stopped me pursuing this is finances. I also have 2 DS's but they are growing up and I really don't want to look back at my life and regret not making the change.
I have found out about an access course to get into teaching which would be 2 years part time ( meaning I could continue in my current job ) and I could up my GCSE grades at the same time to the required level. Following this, I would be able to start a bachelor of education degree.
Having looked on university websites, it looks like I'd have to pay £9000 per year to complete my degree but don't think I'd have to pay it until I'd completed the course. Does that sound right ?
I'm in my mid 30's, my boys are 7 and 13. I dont think Id be entitled to any financial assistance as myself and my husband are in employment.Has anyone here made a career change of this kind in similar circumstances ? Any advice regarding anything to do with my situation would be lovely, thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now