Does anyone have a DC at Southampton University

(50 Posts)
oldpeculiar Thu 03-Jan-13 14:03:23

Ds has had an offer on the course he really wants to do. We live in the North of England and have never even been there.
He is fairly quiet, non-partying kind of boy. How are your DC finding the Uni and what is the town like?
Are there any part time jobs for students?

MariscallRoad Sun 06-Jan-13 21:50:35

Southampton has brilliant students (and stuff too). It seems so just by looking at student entry standards in the Independent tables.

Meglet Sun 06-Jan-13 21:53:37

My sister went to Southampton Uni. I was dragged around Jesters a couple of times <<hazy memories>>.

eatyourveg Mon 07-Jan-13 07:49:09

The railway station isn't that close - it used to take 15 minutes to get to school from the train and school was at the bottom of The Avenue by LSU, the university is half way up the Avenue. Its twice as far if not a little bit further or do you know a short cut? Its probably quicker to get the slow train and get off at St Denys

I consider 15 mins to be walkable! shock especially for an 18 to 22 year old! I did it every friday afternoon in my 4th year

And ALL memories of Clowns/Jesters are hazy or you wouldn't be there

eatyourveg Tue 08-Jan-13 07:49:39

Yes 15 minutes from the station to school is perfectly do-able, that isn't what I meant. The university is over twice the distance of my old school so I would have thought 25-30 minutes and I wouldn't want to do that laden with a heavy haversack of clothes and books.

Copthallresident Tue 08-Jan-13 09:04:26

It's a bit of a schlep to the station, from Glen, Monte, Chamberlain Halls especially but isn't that part of the uni experience, coping with adversity? wink

I actually can't remember how I got my case there and back from Monte but it can't have been that traumatic!

Scrazy Tue 08-Jan-13 13:17:16

Don't think mine has walked it at all. I wouldn't fancy it either. Perfectly good bus service from the station and it seems a trek and we are lazy.

PurplePoppySeed Tue 08-Jan-13 13:26:19

I went to Soton too - graduated in 2004 - studied Engineering... I would agree with all above - it's definately worth a visit. Whilst there is a campus, it's got a little bit of a city uni feel about it when compare to places like exeter which is very campus based.

Most of the places to live from year 2 onwards are downhill from campus, though nearer to town, but can only park on the nearby side streets for 2 hours at a time or I think there are pay & displays possibly - I'm fairly lazy so went through the hassle of moving my car every 2 hours so that I didn't have to walk up the hill.

I know it's already changed a lot since I left, as I've heard the old Elec Eng building was condemed and they moved into the Electronics & Computer Science building, not sure abt other eng departments. The "new" Student Union was finished just before I left the uni, it looked really good, with gym/pool etc + better nightclub.

Overall I loved it, met my DH there and we stayed living in West End for a few years after leaving uni - but we are also from Kent & Surrey, so it wasnt really that far/different from home for us.

I'm feeling very nostalgic now!

parred Tue 08-Jan-13 22:18:14

DS has received his offer for Southampton this very day! It was his first choice so I'm very pleased to read such positive comments. We only live about 2 hours away so not too bad for us. http://cdnmn.com/emo/te/1.gif

NewFerry Tue 08-Jan-13 22:26:23

Congratulations!
What subject is he looking to study?

LadyPeterWimsey Tue 08-Jan-13 22:42:43

I live in Southampton, five minutes walk from the main campus and know loads of students. All the engineers seem to love the course, and most of the students are very happy they are here, even the ones from the north. (Although the latter tell me they like going home and not hearing our southern accents during the holidays!) I have had indirect contact with pastoral care at the university and they seem to be very good. The weather is pretty mild, the shopping is good, the transport links great. It's not the greatest party scene in the country, I hear, but they seem to do alright - and I know lots of non-partying types who just get on with having a good time with friends rather than clubbing.

I'm happy to ask my student friends any particular questions, but they all seem pretty happy in general with the place.

MariscallRoad Wed 09-Jan-13 03:14:52

parred congratulations smile.

Scrazy Wed 09-Jan-13 11:36:51

LadyPeter, mine isn't into the clubbing much and when I ask her if she has enough nice going out stuff she looks at me funny and says they dress down. It might just be her mates but I imagined all southern cities would be fake tan, extensions, little dresses and stacked heels. Or is that a geordy shaw northern thing grin.

alreadytaken Wed 09-Jan-13 14:05:10

I don't have a child there, we went to the open day but mine didn't like Southampton. Pity really as I thought it was fine but it does reinforce the visit if at all possible message. I know of young people who had part-time jobs there and didn't seem to have much problem getting them. Hotels in Southampton are expensive but the De Vere hotels sometimes have cheap room only offers, especially on Sunday nights (not much use for visit days but you may plan on visiting while they are there) - keep an eye on their web pages. We stayed at one outside Southampton.

Scrazy Wed 09-Jan-13 15:54:31

Oops wrong shore

LadyPeterWimsey Wed 09-Jan-13 17:30:59

Scrazy: definitely a northern thing! Don't know any students with fake tans. grin

(I have a friend who left Sheffield 25 years ago to live in the south, and she still can't help herself turning up to everything looking immaculate and perfectly put together. She's now moved from Surrey to Hampshire and has to make herself underdress massively when she comes to Southampton or she sticks out like a sore thumb.)

fussychica Wed 09-Jan-13 17:47:53

First thing I noticed when I worked in Sheffield (moving from South East) was how immaculately made up all the girls weregrin

harbingerofdoom Wed 09-Jan-13 21:12:37

DD1 is in her second year at Southampton.
Please visit,however hard the logistics are,you don't want to your DS to go to somewhere blind. For your peace of mind you need to picture where he is living.

University will be strange to a lot of eighteen year olds. DD lived in Monte, there is a huge choice of accommodation (but all self-catering).

He will mix with people from all over the country because Southampton is a highly regarded University. (Employers are interested in the Engineering and Science grads.)

There are quite a lot of Chinese students. I suspect that might be quite interesting to the science/eng undergraduates.

YY to the bus pass.

Jobs are available at the Highfield site in the bars and cafes.

Will have to ask my DD about Clown/Jesters grin I suspect she took an innocent friend from home thee once hmm

harbingerofdoom Wed 09-Jan-13 21:21:27

PS my DD will be one of the many Student Ambassadors at the Visiting Days.

parred Wed 09-Jan-13 21:43:41

@MariscallRoad thanks
@NewFerry he's applied to do politics and international relations. would be good if he could get a job while there too.

TalkinPeace2 Sun 20-Jan-13 22:23:44

Another Southampton Graduate here, married to a lary chap I met in my first year.
WE moved away but came back and have been here ever since.

I have to be VERY careful what I say on this thread not to out both of us as there are uni staff reading :-)

Its a good Uni that I'm proud to still be involved with nearly 30 years after I started there (Glen Eyre by the way)

NewFerry Mon 21-Jan-13 07:54:22

DS was in Glen Eyre for first year, great residential campus. He's now in the ubiquitous Portwood, and is hoping to stay there for the next 2 years.

jiggles01 Sat 26-Jan-13 15:45:56

my Ds in second year ..he was also at Glen eyre and had a fab room...his hall/dorm only had the 4 students ..part catered ..it was not his first choice of accommodation ..it may have been his last choice ! but they had a great kitchenette and it was around £109 a week .I knew he was being fed so I was pleased . he is now in Portswood .he absolutely loves SOTON ..

Bunbaker Sat 26-Jan-13 15:50:15

My niece is at Southampton uni and loves it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now