DS finally admitted he doesn't really want to go to Uni

(28 Posts)
mumblechum1 Sun 09-Dec-12 13:44:05

I should have seen it coming,I've been hassling him for ages about his UCAS application and have been the one checking Track for his offers etc. (he has 3 good offers so far)

He has always wanted to go in the Army and although he isn't very academic (predicted BBB for Uni after messing up his ASs), he always said he knew he needed to get a degree so that he can go to Sandhurst and train as an officer

He's been in the TA for 10 months and absolutely loves it. He's on a 48 hour exercise this weekend in -2, sleeping outside or rather being woken for sentry duty every 2 hours, eating cold beans out of ration packs, but he will be loving every second of it and depressed when he goes back to school in the morning.

He admitted the other night, when I asked why he never looks on Track and seems uninterested in which Uni to go to, that he really doesn't want to spend another 3 years in academia, he just wants to join up as a squaddie and get deployed as soon as possible.

He realises that his chances of promotion are v limited without a degree and that he'll earn an awful lot less.

How can I persuade him to give Uni a chance, or should I let him make his own decisions?

mumblechum1 Tue 11-Dec-12 16:59:50

Thank you. We had a long talk last night, and he says that as long as he gets decent grades, so can get into Manchester or Lpool, he'll go for the Uni/Officer route, but if he does badly (he's one of those people who get As for coursework then go to pieces in exams), then he'll do the squaddie thing at least for a couple of years.

He does have his own car, which is why going to St Helens from Manch would be ok. He's looked into bursaries but you have to have 3As apparently.

He's also going to call a neighbour who's also an old friend of the family who's a Colonel and who also qualified as an Army doctor. We all know what he's going to say!

He is very aware of the PTSD risk etc, especially as TA personnel who go on deployment don't get the same MH support as regulars. He is, however, the sort of guy who would not be uncomfortable about seeking support from the GP etc.

SDTGisAChristmassyWolefGenius Tue 11-Dec-12 17:11:38

I wonder whether my parents felt a bit like you do, when I said I wanted to do my nurse training (back in the days when it was not a degree) rather than going to university. If they did, they hid it well and supported me in my choice, even when the school pressured me to reconsider.

I did my training, and worked as an operating theatre staff nurse for three years, at which point I decided I wanted a change and went to university. I am absolutely sure that it was the right decision for me, and going to University as a mature student was much better for me than it would have been if I had gone when I was 18.

If your son does go straight into the army, it doesn't mean that he will never go to university.

mumblechum1 Tue 11-Dec-12 17:16:54

You're right, SDTG, and I'm glad it worked out well for you smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now