Economics advice needed!

(7 Posts)
greyvix Sun 25-Nov-12 12:01:11

DS is applying to Exeter, Nottingham, Bristol, Bath and Cardiff. He would rather have put down Manchester, but was advised to take Cardiff as insurance. We are now twitchy about Bath, as it may require economics A level, which he doesn't have. UCAS page and uni site give conflicting info. Anyone know anything? He is predicted A*AA at A level.

NewFerry Sun 25-Nov-12 13:30:53

Can he email the admissions department at Bath directly? Particularly if there is conflicting information. I would guess the Unis own info is the most up to date though.

Lilymaid Sun 25-Nov-12 13:50:03

I would agree that he should contact the admissions people at Bath.
Both DCs have taken Economics degrees (one at Nottingham) and found that much of the first semester (if not first year) was a repeat of A2 economics so that those without it at A2 could catch up (and the others had an easy time!)

greyvix Sun 25-Nov-12 14:29:51

Thanks. I have checked again and it definitely gives economics as an option, along with the subjects he is taking. Any thoughts on Manchester/ Cardiff?

Lilymaid Sun 25-Nov-12 14:50:58

You might be interested (but may already know) this table from Studentroom unfortunately, it is no longer updated but it is still useful.

onlaptopagain Sun 25-Nov-12 18:06:41

I think there's a website - possibly the new Which guide to unis - which shows what A levels people on a particular course have got. I remember seeing that at Warwick only about two thirds of them had economics. It's maths that's the crucial one. Ds is at Warwick and it's certainly true that much of the first term covers the same ground as the A level and they make it quite clear that economics isn't required.

greyvix Sun 25-Nov-12 18:32:47

Warwick is very good, but his GCSEs are all As, apart from an AS Maths and Physics. AS grades are good, but I don;t think he'd get in to the top unis for economics ie Warwick, LSE etc.
Thanks for your help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now