anyone know about theatrical make up? dd wants to do this

(12 Posts)

thanks, we will look into that. <<mumsnet is brill>>

sue52 Thu 01-Nov-12 15:42:03

The london college of fashion has courses that might interest her. I think they take Btec and NVQ as well as Alevel students.

that is a fair point. will let her know.

picturesinthefirelight Tue 23-Oct-12 19:57:10

A friend of mine was in cats. When she joined the show someone taught her how to do the make up- then she had to do it herself. I guess someone designs the make up in shows though.

well she is not really into the theatre, just the theatrical make up. but again thanks. so perhaps art is the way

I used to work in the west end. On all the productions I worked on, and there were a lot, there was only one where they employed a professional make up artist (for very specific reasons). actors do their own very largely so I'm really not aware of there being any demand. I'm sure this is not the case for films but that is not my area of knowledge, nor what you are asking.

if she is interested in stage management she is far better off getting actual experience rather than a paper qualification.

oh thanks - really helpful.

kellestar Tue 23-Oct-12 11:56:51

last link again for example

kellestar Tue 23-Oct-12 11:56:29

An NVQ2 is the same level as a GCSE or other level 2 qualification, however it does not neccessarily mean it is the same as doing GCSE's.

An NVQ3 is the same level as A-Level's and BTEC National Diploma's.

Often NVQ's are Vocational Qualifications, designed to be used to develop/enhance your career, rather than being in lieu of qualifications that may be considered more academic. this is a good description of the types of qualifications they can do

It depends on what kind of career she is looking to do and if they consider this qualification acceptable for this the type of role.

A qualification like this is a level 3 qualification and is of the same level as A-Levels, however it won't be equivalent to a certain amount of them, as the assessment techniques are quite different. The hours of study for this course is 437-467 hours, over 2 years. An A-level is 360 hours over 2 years and an AS-Level is 180 hours over a year. Most A level students will hold 3 A-levels and 2 AS-levels in different subjects.

I must say that quite a few students on the C&G courses are usually employed in a relevant setting and often do it through the workplace. She may find that it's something she could do once she starts working in the relevant field.

Is she interested in just theatrical make-up? Would she look at Stage Management, including wardrobe, props, make-up, front of house, lighting, scenery etc? [[http://register.ofqual.gov.uk/Qualification/Details/500_7364_3 for example] this is a BTEC Level 3 in Production Arts. The Hours of Study are 720 and it provides more variety in what she would be learning. Hoping that mostly it's relevant to her and would provide her a good grounding in a career, it would provide information on aspects she may never have thought of and could be more appealing to employers.

oh thanks, we will look down that route.

mummyofteens Tue 23-Oct-12 11:16:17

Hi, I know of someone who first did a 1 year art foundation course and is now doing some sort of theatrical make up course at York St John's university, which I think is a three year course. May be somewhere to start your research with ......

however she would have to do the basic make up course prior to this and as she is doing well at school and the make up course requires 4 gcses at grade D and above we feel she could do better. although the 2 year course with make up and theatrical make up is an nvq2 and apparently equivalent to 3 a levels.
if she did a levels first then the make up course by the 4th year we would have to pay .d

is there any algternative.
i think she is intereted in theatre make up because she is interested in art. is art the way foward?

or are more teens going the nvq route rather than unviersity now?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now