What to do?

(13 Posts)
noddyholder Sun 21-Oct-12 14:00:36

My ds is 18. He started 6th form doing A levels and hated it fropped out after 5 months. He wants to do film as career. He has been making films on his own and working with cameras for about 8 years. He re started at another college on a extended diploma 3.5 A level equivalent so a bridge to university. He is now in yr 2 of this and doing well and also looking at university. The course he is on is taught by uni lecturers and from what I can gather my ds is equivalent in skills etc to 2nd yr degree student(teachers words not a boast).My ds says he has all the skills but none of the respect of a degree and so he is applying to university now. I am worried he is going to get a huge debt for basically doing nothing for 2 years and am at a loss as to what to do. He says he wants to go for the experience and I am ok with that but do you think he could get bored and drop out? His current teachers also run a film school in Brighton with direct links to industry and have a one year course but this would mean he would miss out on the student life. I suggested a gap year but he isn't sure! Help! His teachers have said the drop out rate for students as advanced as him is high They get several ex students every year who don't last until xmas as they aren't challenged.

noddyholder Sun 21-Oct-12 14:38:27

creamteas Sun 21-Oct-12 16:15:39

It sounds to me from what you have said that for your DS to get ahead in his chosen career he needs a degree. So going to uni would not be a waste.

He might have some technical skills equivalent to a 2nd year, but that does not mean he will not learn anything.

And even if he really has all the skills and knowledge that he doesn't need to work hard in his first year, then he can use the time in other productive ways (p/t job, his own film projects, working as an extra etc etc) to build his CV.

In many careers, and I should imagine this area in particular, you need industry contacts, and a good university will help your DS get them.

Yes it is expensive, but even if he was there for a few months he would gain something so it would never be a complete waste.

noddyholder Sun 21-Oct-12 16:37:27

Thanks I also think even a few months would teach him something! He has a lot of contacts etc so does have that advantage. Family and friends inc my brother and best friend are both in film. I am worried about the debt i suppose but it will be his debt.

Betelguese Sun 21-Oct-12 17:12:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

noddyholder Sun 21-Oct-12 17:14:51

Thanks so much will show him that Very interesting smile

sashh Mon 22-Oct-12 00:40:30

If he is equivelant to year 2 then why not apply directly to year 2?

noddyholder Mon 22-Oct-12 12:06:59

I don't think you can You need to start from yr one.

creamteas Mon 22-Oct-12 23:41:36

On some courses it is possible to get accreditation for prior learning (APL). But all of the direct transfers into year 2 I have ever seen are where year 1 (or the equivalent OU modules) have been completed at another uni.

Betelguese Tue 23-Oct-12 14:49:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

noddyholder Wed 24-Oct-12 07:35:51

That looks interesting will show him today x

Libra Wed 24-Oct-12 12:58:18

My university has links with the local FE college which means that we offer direct entry into year 3 for those students who have successfully completed the HND course in Media at the college. Are you sure that your son's FE college does not have similar arrangments?

noddyholder Wed 24-Oct-12 14:19:29

Libra I am going to check Have never heard of that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now