UCAS applications

(469 Posts)
mumblechum1 Fri 12-Oct-12 09:24:31

When are people's DCs planning on finalising their personal statements, with a view to getting the UCAS applns sent off?

DS's school have done the grade predictions but as far as I know haven't done the reference bit yet.

DS has done the first draft of his PS, has feedback from his tutor and is aiming to polish it up this weekend.

<<prays everyone isn't going to post that their DCs applicacations were submitted to UCAS last month and have already got their offers>> wink

greyvix Tue 26-Mar-13 00:01:18

DS gutted that he got a rejection from Bristol on the weekend. So it's Nottingham first choice for Economics. He then has to decide between Manchester, Exeter or Cardiff for insurance. I like Exeter, but (probably because I like Exeter) he's favouring Manchester- though he's never been. When is the deadline?

melodyangel Tue 26-Mar-13 12:11:57

greyvix - I think the deadline is 8th May

www.ucas.com/students/importantdates

DS1 has accepted an unconditional offer from Queen Mary to do a masters in Chemistry. All very delighted and relieved. It has been a worrying time since he missed his grades last August but all go now. Got the news while at a school thing on Friday - they may have been a spontaneous outburst of dancing blush

MABS - How is your DS doing? I do hope he is on the mend. Thoughts are with you all. Has your DD's college been supportive? I hope she receives special consideration for the Jan exams, sounds like you have all had a torrid time.

minsmum - Well done to your DD for getting the highest grade in her year!

Good luck to all you DC's.

minsmum Sun 31-Mar-13 13:14:03

Melodyangel- Thank you and well done to your DS I think I would still be dancing, how absolutely fabulous

Milliways Wed 08-May-13 16:27:51

How is the revision going? DS has his first exam next week.

ISingSoprano Wed 08-May-13 20:27:43

Ds has his first exam next week too. Revision is going quite well - he seems very motivated and has a good balance of work and relaxation. How 'bout you Milliways?

greyvix Wed 08-May-13 20:48:15

Well, it's 8th May and DS has finally decided: it's Nottingham first choice and Exeter second. He is set on Nottingham, so hopefully, it will give him the incentive to work to get there.
So onto the next hurdle. I hope everyone else's DCs are now settled with choices and happy!

NewFerry Wed 08-May-13 21:07:56

Popping in to say good luck to all.
DS doesn't have an exam until after half term, so carrying on with revision here. However, it's his 18th birthday on Friday, so he's having friends over for a BBQ. I suspect he won't get much revision done on Saturday!

Milliways Wed 08-May-13 21:18:02

Thanks IsingSoprano - DS is very motivated and has stayed home alone the last 2 weekends when we have been camping. He is taking a break to watch The Apprentice though smile

Happy 18th to NewFerry DS, Milliboy turns 18 the same week the results come out. Manchester is his firm, with Southampton as Insurance.

RustyBear Wed 08-May-13 21:29:30

My first post on Mumsnet was congratulating your DS on getting in to the grammar school, Milliways! Hope I'll be congratulating him on getting into Manchester come August!

Milliways Wed 08-May-13 21:49:33

Thanks Rusty! smile

How are your 2 getting on now? Have they completely flown the nest?

RustyBear Wed 08-May-13 22:12:04

Yes, DS did History & Politics at Warwick and is now working for a major publisher in London and DD did psychology at Exeter and is now a recruitment consultant in Reading. They both moved out last autumn, both living in shared houses with friends, though they both come to visit every so often - in fact DD is here this evening. What's your DD doing now?

Milliways Wed 08-May-13 22:39:12

She is married and half way through the Teach First Training programme at a school in outer London. I am a MIL! shock

mumeeee Thu 09-May-13 20:42:15

DD3 finally decided on Bolton as her first choice, the uni furthest away and Glamorgan which is a few miles away from us as her insurance, She doesn't have exams as she is doing a BTECH extended diploma but has a load of assignments to finish.
I'll be glad when she's finally finished college as it's very stressful in this house at the moment. It also looks like she'll get DSA which is good.

MariscallRoad Thu 09-May-13 21:31:58

NewFerry happy birthday to DS for tomorrow! Good luck to his exams smile.

NewFerry Sat 11-May-13 08:24:04

Thankyou!

Party went off well, and oldest DS home for the weekend too. Sadly the BBQ part was DH stood under the sun awning, cooking burgers while sheltering from the torrential rain.
The 18 year olds were much more sensible and stayed indoors waiting to eat the food as it was cooked grin
Maris, will pm u later x

MABS Mon 13-May-13 07:54:51

Hi all - can anyone talk me thru results day? if she doesn't get firm choice grades and gets higher that insurance grades, is there a way to consider anywhere else? thanks

Eeeeeowwwfftz Mon 13-May-13 08:13:27

From the UCAS FAQ

I didn't meet the grades for my firm choice but I don't want to go to my insurance choice - can I apply elsewhere?

You have made a commitment to your insurance choice so if you no longer want to attend you should contact the university or college to discuss your situation. If they agree to withdraw your offer, you can then apply for another course in Clearing.

Accepting a UCAS offer is a bilateral commitment. The Uni has to admit you if you get the grades, and you have to go if you get them. However there is some flexibility but you have to get the Uni to agree to a withdrawal before you can go through clearing (the process by which under filled courses are filled). If you outperform your first choice grades there is a new process called Adjustment that might allow you to trade up but I have no experience of this.

Eeeeeowwwfftz Mon 13-May-13 08:15:10

A different strategy might be to accept the insurance place and then try to transfer to a different institution at the end of first year. This is in principle possible - I know people who have done this - but it requires quite a lot of hard graft.

MABS Mon 13-May-13 08:25:27

thanks so much for the info. We feel she may miss her first choice by just one grade, but her insurance grades needed are pretty low so she 'should' outperform that. Do you think we stand any chance of first choice taking her if she is just one grade down? sure that is a stupid question, but please humour me!!

NewFerry Mon 13-May-13 12:17:37

Hi Mabs, I think a lot will depend on the Uni, how popular the course is, and how many students meet the grades that the Uni have already offered, and students accepted, places on.
In other words, the proverbial how long is a piece of string.......

2 years ago, so the last year of lower fees, DS was initially rejected from his first choice becuase he was 0.5% away from his grade, so had AABC with an AAA offer.
BUT it was a particularly busy year, and applications were very high, and it was/is a popular course at a well regarded Uni.

This year, DS2's first choice have said that if you narrowly miss the offer they will look at their "firm" applicants ahead of other students for any places as these are the students who have committed to the Uni, and who the Uni has comitted time to with post-offer days, countless emails etc. plus there are comparatively fewer students compared to 2 years ago.

It's all such a worry though isnt it?

MABS Mon 13-May-13 16:45:36

thanks Newferry, had heard similar so time will tell....

MABS Sun 02-Jun-13 13:08:47

how are you all? dd starts properly Tues pm...

Needmoresleep Sun 02-Jun-13 18:56:35

MABS, it depends. We went to see some Unis over half term and met an admissions tutor who said they have much more freedom now to take additional students as long as they met the Government requirement of is it ABB or ABB. So missing a point within these constraints should be OK.

I think he was trying to encourage my son to consider this University as his insurance offer. Trouble was my son hated it from the car park in. A small sixties campus perched on top of a hill. Lesson from half term is DS probably wants to be in a City.

ISingSoprano Sun 02-Jun-13 19:40:38

Good luck everyone! ds starts properly tomorrow with two exams and 'exam jail' in the middle. He is quite wound up this evening. Hey ho - three weeks and it will all be over bar the shouting!

NewFerry Sun 02-Jun-13 20:47:18

Yes, good luck everyone.

DS starts Tuesday morning, and chose this weekend to get a part time job! hmm
<<bangs head against wall>>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now