UCAS applications

(469 Posts)
mumblechum1 Fri 12-Oct-12 09:24:31

When are people's DCs planning on finalising their personal statements, with a view to getting the UCAS applns sent off?

DS's school have done the grade predictions but as far as I know haven't done the reference bit yet.

DS has done the first draft of his PS, has feedback from his tutor and is aiming to polish it up this weekend.

<<prays everyone isn't going to post that their DCs applicacations were submitted to UCAS last month and have already got their offers>> wink

MariscallRoad Mon 14-Jan-13 13:18:39

Hi MABS congratulations to your DS for the offers smile esp from his preferred one, he did brilliant. Good luck with the exams.

MariscallRoad Mon 14-Jan-13 13:20:27

Hi MABS, sorry for the typo, congrats to your DS!

MariscallRoad Mon 14-Jan-13 13:22:43

Hi MABS sorry for the typo best of luck to your DD!

MABS Mon 14-Jan-13 13:40:13

thanks Mariscall - dd borderline hysterical re French tmro sad

NewFerry Tue 15-Jan-13 09:32:18

Well having said I was hoping the Unis would now go quiet till after the students sit their Jan exams, DS got an email from 1 of the 2 he was waiting on. Luckily it's an offer, but honestly, I think a 2 week moratorium till after the exams would be so much better.

Uni lecturers/admissions bods - please take note! wink

MariscallRoad Tue 15-Jan-13 12:26:33

Congratulations for DS offer from No 1 and best wishes for No 2 smile. I agree that decisions could have been delayed a bit ... but it is confidence boosting to have certainty and good news before exams.

NewFerry Tue 15-Jan-13 13:04:15

Thank you Mariscall smile

MABS Tue 15-Jan-13 17:57:44

marvellous Newferry! so pleased for you

NewFerry Tue 15-Jan-13 19:29:17

Thank you - lots of work experience (following on from contacts made here helped) wink

NewFerry Tue 15-Jan-13 19:30:27

MABS - how was your DDs French exam in the end?

MABS Tue 15-Jan-13 20:25:43

good to hear Newferry smile It was an AS retake and better than last year, sounds good i think!! but she got a B then and i truly don't think an A is realistic and nor does she really.

melodyangel Wed 16-Jan-13 17:41:04

Has everyone's DC's had offers yet?

DS1 didn't quite manage to meet his offers last year so is resitting a couple of modules this year. Really worried this is going to count against him.

The support thread last year was a great help in getting though the exam nerves and although we didn't get the results we were hoping for it was really nice to see so many others DC's achieving such great things are being able to go off to uni.

MABS Wed 16-Jan-13 18:12:37

well done to him melodyangel, i think my dd would just give up sadly.

stephrick Wed 16-Jan-13 18:19:29

I thought the last day was yesterday, DD put As grades in she was told she had to. Already been pre accepted 4 out of 5, just waiting for Bristol. DD did it in November.

MariscallRoad Wed 16-Jan-13 18:30:33

melodyangel well done to ds. It is always better and looks great to have improved grades - do not worry about resiting A Levels when it leads to better results. It shows what one can achieve.

stephrick Wed 16-Jan-13 18:56:33

I think it was tough last year. they all left school with goods GCSE's, probally A's and A*, then found A levels so much harder than they expected. DD got an A in math and tried it at A level, she found it very difficult and was disapointed in herself, she had to drop it as it was causing her so much stress, and when I say stress she was self abusing herself. she is happy with her subjects now, but I think taster sessions should reflect the course work, she was led to believe that she was able to do it. Sorry for digressing.

melodyangel Thu 17-Jan-13 14:32:12

Thanks everyone. He did well at his A levels but didn't get the grade he needed for Chem. He has been working really hard on his resits and working part time too. Really proud of him but still it's scary to think it may all go wrong again.

Going to try and read through the rest of the thread to catch up.

MABS - Hope your DD gets the results she needs in her french exam.

MABS Thu 17-Jan-13 18:15:54

good luck to him Melody smile

MABS Mon 21-Jan-13 11:10:20

she hated Georg last week, last one tmro = Bus studies. Hope you all doing ok.

Milliways Tue 22-Jan-13 22:05:58

Good Luck to all those sitting Maths tomorrow. DS has C3 & FP1 tomorrow (and M1 on Friday) so has been doing past papers every night for the last few weeks.

NewFerry Tue 22-Jan-13 22:18:35

Echoing the good luck wishes for those still doing exams, specially maths grin

minsmum Wed 23-Jan-13 18:08:58

My dd has just had a phone call from Exeter. It was from a student to have a chat about what it's like to be a student there and to answer any questions she might have. Isn't that lovely. A pity she wasn't here

mumeeee Fri 25-Jan-13 23:55:17

DD3 has now got two offers. One from University of Glamorgan and one from Greenwhich. We are excited for her and proud. She is 21?and has learning difficulties so she had had to work hard to get this far. She is doing BTECH Extended Diploma in IT.

Milliways Sat 26-Jan-13 10:39:56

Oh, well done to your DD3 Mumeeee smile

MABS Sat 26-Jan-13 10:41:22

brilliant Mumee!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now