Freshers Initiation and beyond...

(32 Posts)
GKLN54 Fri 05-Oct-12 12:03:05

Am aware of recent initiations involving freshers who had hoped to join sports teams at four Russell Group uni's. Swallowing their own pee, physically forced to drink large quantities of pints of 'cocktails' of spirits, having items of clothing removed, one girl ended up being so drunk, after stripping off whilst dancing on a table, fell and landed on glasses, having obscenities written on their faces with permanent markers (which took days to remove, or like one Fresher scrubbing it off with a scouring pad leaving her face raw and bleeding), semi-forced sexual activities and expected to perform lewd behaviour in public etc. The option was to join in or leave the team. (Some of the team captains (who are the main instigators) belong to local sports teams as well, so that wasn't an option either). The four students in question decided to leave their teams and chosen sports; a loss for both the university and for the students, all of whom had belonged to high profile national Club academies and were all county/regional and higher sportsmen and women. Ironically one lad decided to join the UOTC instead and found it much the same. If similar behaviour happened elsewhere it would be called bullying. Everyone moans about the drink culture we have in this country. Quelle surprise. Thoughts?

boomting Fri 26-Oct-12 17:53:03

justgettingbymum - it's not done at a uni level, it's done at a club level, so whilst one uni's (say) netball club might do it, their hockey club might not.

However, I've heard of it happening everywhere from RG universities to Gloucestershire (the fact that they had had someone dressed up as a Nazi during initiation got into the press a few years back).

JustGettingByMum Fri 26-Oct-12 19:42:07

Yes I appreciate it's at club level, but still within the University, no?

I was at uni in the mid to late 90's as was my DH who was a first team rugby player. These sorts of things went on back then, mainly, as some have said, with the rugby teams and also the 'agrics'. Also a RG uni. No idea if it stil happens now, but it was always pretty bad then.

GKLN54 Tue 06-Nov-12 11:13:37

Ok, name and shame. Try sports clubs at Exeter, Leeds, Liverpool, Loughborough, Nottingham, Portsmouth. Any others? Boomting, the BUCS link is interesting. Staggered that they've needed a policy on this. Great for the local bar owners I suppose, someone has to benefit.

boomting Wed 07-Nov-12 12:05:31

It'd be quicker to name the ones that don't have any initiations (if there are any). They don't tend to happen in bars (whilst there may be a bar as a rendezvous point and a club afterwards, the actual 'initiation' aspect of it won't take place there), all the ones I've know of have taken part at captain's houses. So the only company that really benefits is Sainsburys, because they sell a bit more cheap cider . . . .

Anyway, I wouldn't obsess over this too much. I've been through an initiation, I've survived, and I don't think there's anything wrong with them.

God it wasn't done in private at our uni, it was on the lawn in front of the students' union, for all to see!!! Granted this was about 12 years ago now, so might not be so 'visible'...

harbingerofdoom Wed 07-Nov-12 21:13:08

It still goes on. Luckily my DDs have no shame in vomiting grin. Then they feel a lot better than most in the morning.
Before you all start............ drinking 1 1/2 litres of ? would make me throw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now