Anyone an FE teacher? Considering a career change

(8 Posts)
DillyTante Sun 16-Sep-12 13:17:46

I'm exploring the possibility of training to become an FE Psychology Teacher. I'm not clear exactly what qualifications you need though, and most of the qualifications basically require you to already be a teacher of some sort. Seems to be a catch 22 if you are wanting to get into it.

Also what are the career prospects like. It feels a little bit like I would be training for something where there would be only a small number of jobs in my county so the chances of getting a job slim. Plus, psychology is mainstreaming a little, and seems like you might be increasingly asked to teach Secondary level. Anyone any experience or advice?

Houseworkprocrastinator Sun 16-Sep-12 13:28:27

I used to be. I don't have a degree so I did the CertED but it was basically the same as the pgce(fe) qualification and I was in the same class and did the same assignments just got a different certificate at the end.
There were a lot of people on my course who were already employed by the college on the grounds that they would then do the qualification so it is possible to get a job as a lecturer and then do the course while teaching (which then gives you your practice hours aswell and a lot of the work can be stuff that you will be already doing as part of the job)
There are also a lot of comunity learning organisations that would employ a tutor with the view to being qualified.
I think psychology is quite a popular subject so I don't think the jobs will be reduced.
Good luck

DillyTante Sun 16-Sep-12 17:23:36

Interesting. Why are you no longer a teacher?

I have a degree in Psychology, actually, I have a Master's degree so I just need post grad qualifications.

Houseworkprocrastinator Sun 16-Sep-12 17:42:19

I stopped working when I had children. May go back one day but I would like to work with young offenders. (not so different to the college I worked in grin )
Yes the pgce(fe) course is all you need but some colleges would employ under the condition that you work towards this. I did it part time (one evening a week) over two years.

sashh Mon 17-Sep-12 04:17:59

The situation in FE is dire at the moment, a lot of zero hours contracts.

But, when I get the hours, it is fantastic. Because of funding you will not be teaching adults but mainly 16-19 year olds, you may also be teaching 14 year olds on release from their school and the schools tend to send the kids they want out of school.

I doubt you could make a living just teaching psychology, you might if you are prepared to teach key skills or other subjects.

The qualification you now need is DTTLS, although some colleges still advertise it as PGCE.

The qualification comes in three parts PTTLS - can be done in 2 weeks full time, and you do not need any teaching hours.

The second part is CTTLS which takes a year p/t - you do need some teaching hours but this can be voluntary, and then you take DTTLS over a second year, again you need teaching hours.

Look at FEjobs.com for vacancies, the advantage of being emplyed is that employers usually cover the cost of training, otherwise you are adding to the student loans.

Houseworkprocrastinator Mon 17-Sep-12 09:30:04

Ok, all different from when I did it. Ignore everything I said grin

cat Mon 17-Sep-12 09:31:14

Don't do it.

FE is appalling to work in.

NorthernGobshite Mon 17-Sep-12 09:41:27

I am a lecturer in HE; conditions are much much better here than FE from what I can gather. I had very littel teaching experience other than training (I was a Social Worker) and I now teach on the MA. The UNi has paid for me to do my PGCHE.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now