EPQ - good idea?

(28 Posts)
3boys1cat Thu 29-Mar-12 20:06:09

Did anyone's DC do an Extended Project Qualification before applying to uni? If so, was it worth it?

DS1 (Year 12) has been talking about doing an EPQ, and I need more info!

Many thanks

thinking about it some more, and chatting to DD1, it might be better to spend the time doing STEP work rather than the EPQ. DD didn't do nearly enough STEP preparation (school basically said, here are loads of past papers, get on with it, come and speak to us if you get stuck with anything), but STEP is a totally different approach than A levels, which can take some getting used to.

3boys1cat Thu 10-May-12 19:42:04

Just a quick update... I had the opportunity to ask questions at the Oxford Maths Open Day at the weekend and the tutor basically told me exactly what someone said further up the thread. For Maths it would be better to spend the time practising the Oxford/Cambridge admissions tests rather than doing an EPQ. If the student has an area of Maths that they are absolutely fascinated by and want to write 5,000 words on, then it wouldn't do any harm, but it's not really going to do them much good either!

Based on this, DS has spoken to his school and told them he won't be doing the EPQ.

Thanks all for your contributions smile

puffap1 Wed 30-Jul-14 12:24:49

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now