Q&A about Student Loans with Student Loans Company's Nichola Malton - Answers back

(59 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 09-Mar-11 13:13:34

Financial expert Jasmine Birtles has teamed up with the Student Loans Company (SLC) to talk about student finance. Covering what funding you are entitled to for tuition fees and living costs, how to apply for this money and when to make sure your finances are in place - either to start university or continue on to another academic year.

This is an opportunity for you to ask questions about the application process, benefit from her financial wisdom on how to manage your finances - or help your child budget - at university.

Send in your questions to Jasmine Birtles and Nichola Malton from the SLC before Monday 14th March at 5pm and we'll link to the answers from this thread later that week.

InvisibleE Thu 10-May-12 23:48:01

I am EU student whom applied for a student finances tuition loan for an academic year 2012/13. I already have been confirmed for an undergraduate course in Kingston university. However, i am confused whether i am eligible for this Loan, because i have studied BA in my home country, but didn't finish it. Is there any chance getting a positive reply from SLC? And if it would be a problem, how could i manage it?
Regards
E

icecreamlover456 Tue 29-May-12 14:08:43

My daughter is doing adult nursing for three years, she gets a bursery, and a means tested student loan, she has used her loan to pay the rent, now has no money for food etc. can she get any extra help. she is a wlesh student studying in england. thank you

CaliforniaLeaving Wed 06-Jun-12 00:33:30

My son British Citizen is moving home to Wales for College. Is there any student finance help for him? He'll be considered an international student so has higher fees. I'm looking for some student loans that he can start paying after he finishes he course. We will be living near him by then and can help with the payments.

purple15 Tue 12-Jun-12 08:16:31

I am thinking of doing the social work degree. I have already got a foundation degree in another subject. I believe I will be entitled to student finance as I have never borrowed anything before having funded the foundation degree myself.
My question is once I qualify ideally I will get a part time position. If my salary is £19000, how will I pay it back?
I am 41 years old.

purple15 Tue 12-Jun-12 08:17:28

Just realized the thread is probably closed.

PolishSmurf Thu 12-Jul-12 23:10:19

Hi In response to Indith's message I have just experienced this, have been through two months of very stressful competitive interview process, gained a place to study MA in social work, told my current employers that I plan to leave in September only to be told today that I am not eligible for childcare. The only reason given is that my partner earns too much although childcare costs alone would take 2/3 of his salary with no thought given to living costs at all for us as a family of four. At no point were we asked about commitments such as mortgage. If there is a specific cut off salary it would be really useful to know this figure in advance. I have no understanding of how this is worked out and feel really angry now that I have wasted my time in this process that I now actually cannot undertake.

minimandy666 Tue 21-Aug-12 20:07:02

Hi there I am very new to this site (5m ago)

I am hoping that I could have some help please confused ?
I am trying to move onto my next year off college whing is HNC level now, I am a lone parent & have two daughters ages 5 & 18months. I have applyd for all the SAAS funding that I can (awating backlog response) .., But have been told that I have to apply to the college I am attending for Childcare then Housing.
There is a cap on the funding for childcare & mines would be a few more hundered ponds more than this so was told to put an appeal in which I did & got told I didnt win sad .., But to make things worse when I said I was applying for Housing costs to I was told that the cap of £4000 was for childcare & hpusing costs together confused so the ladys I have spoke to have said I will get zero for housing hmm & said I should come back when girls have grew up sad I have also been to advice works & whoever else I could about this as I am reasured the I can definatly not get Housing benefit either envy Surely I do not havto wait untill my girls have grew up to get the qualifications I need to better my life?? angry I have been ill about this as college have definatly says I cant get both funds.., could anyone please help me?? & tell me weather or not I should even go on the start date of my course????? thanx if u can help [thanx] xxx

Mrsmila Sun 16-Sep-12 17:59:32

I have a daughter who will be going to university. I am a bit stuck with the financial paperwork side of things. Do our savings affect her entitlement for loans and or grants.

tyruma84 Thu 21-Feb-13 22:44:05

Hi,
I am a 3rd year student at university (my final year).
For the first 2 years of my course i was a single parent on benefits, so i automatically qualified for the childcare grant from student finance.
Then in september 2012, the start of my final year, i moved in with my partner. I sent all relevant evidence to student finance and recieved an entitlement letter which had my loan and grant on, but not my childcare. I rang student finance more times than i can remember to see what was going on with my childcare and was told different things each time until eventually after nearly 5 months i was told that i am not entitled to it because my circumstances (moving in with my partner) meant that our financial commitments could not be taken into account as they were not in place before the start of the academic year.
So, does this mean that if your circumstances change there is nothing in place to help students like me?
We can not afford the childcare for our daughter and i now face the possibility of failing my degree because i am struggling with my childcare.

Help would be appreciated :/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now