Baking from home -regulations???

(35 Posts)
hollyhobbie Tue 30-Mar-10 14:53:28

I've been thinking about setting up a small business baking and decorating cupcakes for children's parties.

I've been trying to research this but I can't seem to figure out if I need to have any special hygiene certificates, etc. One friend told me that I need a stainless steel kitchen!

I'd be very interested to hear from anyone who has set up a similar business... I think I need all the help I can get!

Thanks in advance.

friendly Tue 13-Jul-10 14:51:20

I remember seeing some cupcakes at a deli near where my in-laws live in Suffolk. They were made by someone whose company is called Queen of Cupcakes I think (will check). Dd and I looked up her site and there was a bit of press coverage. Thought it might be worth looking at Hollyhobbie. Might give you some marketing ideas/ tips.

Just had a flashback to my childhood. My mother made me a Holly Hobbie dress and I had the dolls Holly and Robbie too. Wonder where they are now...And the diary. It's all coming back to me now.

hollyhobbie Fri 16-Jul-10 10:12:59

Thanks again friendly. I had a look at QoC site, always good to keep an eye on the competition!

Today I'm baking 18 cakes for a 3 year old's party. This for me is the best marketing, at a party for a child this age most of the parents will also be there and will get to see the cakes, and hopefully want some too...

(PS/ I chose Hollyhobbie because my RL name starts with H. Not really sure why I thought of it, I think she just popped into my head. Was she drawn by Sarah Kay? I have both those names in my family, so I felt a special connection there smile)

Cakesbyalice Tue 19-Apr-11 02:56:59

I'm just starting off my own cake business, and have found all of your info so amazing! I really thought I wouldn't be able to go through with it because of all the red tape! I'm about to be a first time mum and had to give up working with disabled people, and have been sat at home waiting for bump to arrive since! So knowing that I can go through with my project brings me a lot of joy your blog is gorgeous too, very inspiring! If you fancy peeking at any of mine, go to www.cakesbyalice.blogspot.com well done for powering through everything and setting yourself up! Xxx

bacon Mon 02-May-11 14:12:47

Is it profitable though???? Unless your knocking out a couple of cakes a day I cant see what income you are providing yourself.

I'd love to do it but the figures dont add up, nice as a hobby or adhoc but unsure whether it would pay the bills????

I'm not convinced that many people understand their costings and overheads on working from home.

richbrownowl Sat 23-Feb-13 18:13:06

This is really useful. I've done the hygiene course, and sent off the application to the local council, got all the cookware, packaging, business cards, personalised food labels, basic stock, reaching out to community links, shops, cafe's, etc. Next week I am going to take samples around to see if interested. Thereafter will do farmers markets and car boot sales. Then hopefully broaden my horizons to carnivals and festivals. Jamaican pudding cakes and street food. Thanks for the tips.

DolomitesDonkey Sun 24-Feb-13 07:29:06

I have no idea what Jamaican pudding cakes are but I'm salivating! grin

richbrownowl Sat 02-Mar-13 20:03:35

They are slow baked cakes, unique because of the spice mix. beautifully moist. the most popular kind is sweet potato pudding cake, which is akin to a moist carrot cake.

LittleOven Tue 25-Jun-13 22:09:31

Hi

i'm a new bakery and im too going through the process of setting up business but id like to share my website with you www.the-little-oven.co.uk

iv'e been a pastry chef for ten years and worked under James Martin and now i want to bring cakes and bakery goods to people at affordable prices baked with passion and love

lynn360 Sun 31-Aug-14 05:51:23

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Newbusiness2014 Wed 12-Nov-14 20:43:23

Can I have your contact?
Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now