Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career ×

Does anyone do freelance transcription?

(104 Posts)
lucysnowe Thu 04-Dec-08 13:06:47

Hi all

Thought this might be an easy-ish way to get some extra cash. Is is quite sought after? Do you need any qualifications etc?

Thanks!

triddell1974 Tue 24-Mar-15 12:04:04

Hi Casmac, please can you send me details of your small transcription business. t do riddell at live dot com. THanks

triddell1974 Tue 24-Mar-15 12:02:14

Can you please send me an email regarding your small transcribing business? t dot riddell at live dot com.

Thanks

Toni

gunnsgirl Tue 10-Mar-15 12:44:00

Interesting to think you can just wake up one morning and decide to be a transcriber.

Audio transcription requires not only the software and foot pedal but also:

Extremely acute hearing - audio files may contain background noise, speakers not seated near microphones

Being accustomed to quickly and expertly type all accents and dialects. Interviews and dictation will not always be conducted in your familiar accent - could be a global accent even.

Expertise in punctuation. I've given out transcription work recently and been shocked at the results. Inverted quotes, ellipses, correct use of apostrophes or exclamation marks etc.

Peace and quiet - It can be extremely difficult to slot this around the needs of a young family. It requires time, dedication and patience. Imagine listening to a conference call with six or seven participants, all speaking with regional accents, and all needing to be personally identified in a transcript while you have a toddler making demands on you.

Deadlines - bearing in mind one hour of audio material takes around three to four hours to transcribe for a relatively experienced transcriber - can you guarantee to meet customer deadlines.

Transcription is not for the faint hearted. I don't think people always appreciate the skills required. That said, if you really think you can make a go of it, there's an ever increasing amount of work out there waiting for freelancers. It can be lucrative if you're efficient. Having successfully built my work up for 15 years, I wouldn't go back to office work but my youngest has now gone to university and I have the luxury of a peaceful house. I doubt I'd consider it otherwise.

lucyjobelle Tue 24-Feb-15 16:43:26

Hi.

I run a medical market research company and we are always on the look out for good transcribers to transcribe audio interviews. If you are interested send me an email to info@ldaresearch.co.uk

aoifed123 Fri 23-Jan-15 21:14:34

Hi all,

I am trying to get into medical transcription and don't really know where to start.

I have 1 years experience as a medical secretary in New Zealand where I worked for two cardiologists. There was a lot of audio typing involved where I was responsible for typing up all clinic letters, operation notes and general correspondence and I was really quite good at it. My typing speed is 65 wpm approx.

I am now in Canada and all secretary jobs are looking for transcriptionist qualifications and so I was in contact with Career Step but it just seems so expensive to learn a skill that I picked up pretty quickly through working. I am a really good researcher and so Google was probably my saviour when it came to terminology to start with. I am hoping to move back to the UK in the next few years and so would a US/Canada based course be of any benefit anyway.... So many questions but any advice would really be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance wine

Catherine2702 Sun 04-Jan-15 16:30:47

Hi

I have experience of working in a UK University for over 12 years. During this time I have undertaken transcription work. I have mostly transcribed research interviews which have taken place in Africa, India and China and the UK. I have also transcribed research discussion groups. I can provide professional references.

I'm a very committed individual and have a lot of experience in meeting deadlines. I appreciate from experience there are often very short turnaround times for this type of work.

If there is any transcription work available please respond to my post and I will make contact with you.

Thanks

Catherine.

Patapata Fri 02-Jan-15 19:38:03

Greetings, GCAz,
I too have just seen your request for Jamaican transcribers. Many years ago I transcribed (and translated) Customs/Immigration interviews of detained persons. If you or natwalmonasisja know of any vacancies we could share I would be pleased.

Bless

leo4life Tue 30-Dec-14 22:27:26

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

natwalmonasisja Wed 24-Dec-14 02:59:19

To GCAz,

Hi, only just saw your request for persons to do Jamaican transcriptions. I know it's been a while since you posted that request, but I have been doing transcriptions for years and I am Jamaican. I also work on a few transcription platforms. Could you let me know if you still have that job available? I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!

CapeTownMama Thu 11-Dec-14 07:14:17

I've read most of the above with interest. I've been transcribing for many years and once one gets into the discipline of it, the rewards are enormous. Yes, it's hard work, as is anything one wants to be successful at. I earn roughly the same doing this from home as I did working as an executive PA, but now I can wear denims and flats instead of a tailored suit and heels!

I transcribe only interviews, focus groups, webinars and conferences, and work is plentiful. I work exclusively with trusted agencies, which makes life much less stressful than dealing with clients directly.

The best advice I have for newbies is to buy the best possible hardware and software, constantly brush up your punctuation skills (can't stress that enough) and learn to do internet research - without those skills, find another job. Double-check every piece of work before submitting it and NEVER miss a deadline, even if it means working halfway through the night.

PostBack Mon 15-Sep-14 21:31:06

Hi, I run my own freelance minutes taking/audio typing services, have over 20 years experience with all the necessary equipment such as Express Scribe software, foot pedal, headphones, the works! Can get you sorted in no time. Contact me if you would like assistance

Jonags Mon 15-Sep-14 12:45:19

Jonags Mon 15-Sep-14 12:12:24

kristalina Tue 26-Aug-14 13:26:40

Hi, I'm new to this website. I've got 10 years experience as a home-based medical transcriptionist/editor and just moved into general transcription. I have an accurate typing speed of 85+ wpm, excellent grammar and proof reading skills. I'm based in the US but originally from the UK and looking for freelance work. Any help or referrals would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

kristalina Mon 25-Aug-14 16:24:12

kristalina Mon 25-Aug-14 16:21:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kristalina Mon 25-Aug-14 16:02:34

kristalina Mon 25-Aug-14 15:57:03

acampell8 Mon 14-Jul-14 06:14:06

I am in search of an experience transcriber with administration support skills available immediately to work with us.This advert is intended for skilled individual with at least 1-3 years experience & able to deliver work in timely fashion.These job is flexible and a duration of one year. Individual with Transcription knowledge on Audio files to text would be preferred.This position can be Telecommute.

budget range: $70/hr- $190/hr
Estimated start date: Immediately

Contact info: MOORE CORBY

acampell87@gmail.com

cedriscript856 Fri 04-Jul-14 06:33:18

Transcriptioncity Mon 21-Apr-14 00:30:01

FocusDP Sun 20-Apr-14 14:07:23

blueshades Sat 12-Apr-14 01:11:16

Hi, I have been transcribing TV programmes and conferences/symposiums for the past 3-4 years. Appreciate it if you could count me in if you have any available jobs at the moment.

I'm pretty meticulous and double check my work just to make sure I get everything in unless I really can't figure out the audio.

Grateful if you could also let me know your rates so I know what I'm looking at.

Cheers

Blue

TranscriptDivas Sun 06-Apr-14 08:18:24

Morning all, We are currently looking for transcribers. IF you would like to join in click the jobs tab here: transcriptdivas.co.uk/.

If you are new/thinking about it here is some advice we have given out before: transcriptdivas.ca/4-steps-to-finding-a-transcription-job/

Regards
Andy

manju80 Wed 26-Mar-14 15:06:48

Hi all,

I have completed Medical transcription online course and want to work as a volunteer transcriber. I would like if I get some work in urology branch as I have already worked as a volunteer in urology for one of my friend.

My typing speed is 50 wpm. I am familiar with medial terminologies. I am a quick learner and hard worker. I have a kid so want to work from home.

I will be really very grateful if I find a mentor through mumsnet.

Please let me know if anyone needs volunteer transcriber in medical transcription. My e-mail is manjushreeingle@gmail.com.

Thank you.

Manju

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now