Does anyone do freelance transcription?

(94 Posts)
lucysnowe Thu 04-Dec-08 13:06:47

Hi all

Thought this might be an easy-ish way to get some extra cash. Is is quite sought after? Do you need any qualifications etc?

Thanks!

sheppard947 Sun 12-Jun-11 17:38:55

hmm apparently I was advertising, which we don't need to do.

Setting up a transcription business does not cost £2,489 and, I pay my transcribers £10 per hour for normal dictation and £11 per hour for interview transcription.

Express scribe costs nothing, you can set up a website and hosting for £12 a year, your pedals and headphones cost £100 max. All computers come with a word package and, most businesses do not like the new word package.

Your internet, use of home as office, etc, are all tax deductible. Your tax return would cost £150 maximum.

Interview transcription does take 1 hour to transcribe 15 minutes, one hour of dictation would take you a maximum of three hours.

If I was only earning £9.50 an hour I would have gone back to a proper job years ago.

So, having set up my company in 2006 and, now having a team of transcribers, I would totally disagree with the above comments.

You do, if you are offering an interview/conference/focus group transcription service know how you should set it out properly but, with normal dictation all you would need is their template and a completed example.

Louise

AishaRishi Fri 28-Oct-11 20:37:41

I am a freelance transcriber specializing in English, Urdu, Hindko, Mirpuri, Pahari, Seraiki and several other Pakistani Punjabi dialects. I have about 7 years experience in this field.

Please feel free to contact me regarding transcription projects. My email address is as follows:

aisharishi@gmail.com

Thanks

MicheleDB Mon 21-Nov-11 11:06:17

Greetings!

I have more than 8 years experience as an audio typist. I use Express Scribe, am available to start work immediately, adhere to all turnaround times and am fast and accurate. smile

If I can be of assistance in any way, please do let me know.

Many thanks and have a wonderful day! smile

brrramble Mon 19-Dec-11 17:30:36

Hi everyone!

I'm also a transcriber with 2 years experience and am desperately looking for more work. I generally type 20 minutes of tape in one hour and always get the tape back on time. I am set up with Express scribe Pro.
My experience has been in working for a market research company doing mainly focus groups but also phone interviews and individual one on ones.

If anyone knows of any companies or individuals hiring, please let me know.

Thank you

Barbara x

Joglo Wed 11-Jan-12 09:39:00

Hi - I am looking for freelance transcribers to transcribe some medical market research interviews for me on a regular on-going basis. I would be extremely interested to hear from any bi-lingual transcribers also, who can transcribe from a foreign language into English, specially Dutch. You can e-mail me at jo.glover@d-scription.com

Tamoo Wed 11-Jan-12 10:51:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

VIDY Tue 10-Apr-12 11:09:46

Hi,

I'm searching for work as a freelance transcriber. I have had transcribing experience of 5 yrs which was some time ago (2000 - 2005) after which I have working in various companies in various positions.

Since I have a kid now I wish to work from home and I felt the best way is to try my hand at freelance transcription. Please if you know anyone, or if anyone can give me some transcription work I will be really grateful.

Thanks very much.

VIDY Tue 10-Apr-12 11:20:18

Hi,

Just to let you know, I have all the required set-up for transcription work. I have Express Scribe, broad band connections, speakers and foot pedal too.

I'm looking forward to your responses.

Cheers.

audee Wed 13-Jun-12 15:08:21

Hi, I'm a legal PA and am very interested in working from home transcribing audio files. Please drop me a line if you would be kind enough to offer any info on the subject.

aodriscoll@fsmail.net

Thanks

Casmac Wed 05-Sep-12 06:37:52

Hi everyone, I've just come across this thread and thought I should mention Business Friend is looking for new transcribers. Please take a look at www.businessfriend.net/freelance-transcription/ for minimum requirements (including experience), and contact me via the website; I apologise in advance if I am slow in responding as I'm away next week but will get back to you with some information on my return if not before. Thank you!

FriedEggs1 Fri 07-Sep-12 21:33:33

I just love all these adverts begging for work which are littered with spelling mistakes and punctuation errors!!!! How do you expect anyone to be bothered replying when you can't even be bothered to check your (tiny amount of) typing?!!

susannehicks Tue 25-Sep-12 14:39:40

Transcription is a pretty good work-at-home option. There are three main types of transcription – general, legal, and medical. Medical transcription requires specialized skills that can be acquired through a vocational training program that offers training courses online, like CareerStep's training in medical transcription in the United States. CS has also introduced curriculum on speech recognition technology, one of the first kinds in the nation. Sign up for self-paced programs that can be completed in 4-12 months depending on how fast you can finish your coursework.

GCAz Wed 26-Sep-12 15:11:40

I am carrying out some research overseas and the potential transcriptionist I have found calculates her rate by page rather than hour. She says that it will work out cheaper this way, but I am not sure.
Can anyone give me an approximation of how many pages per hour of audio?
Also, if there are any transcriptionists out there with experience of Jamaican Patois, please get in touch!

junepage Tue 02-Oct-12 15:03:52

I am an experienced legal secretary dealing with all aspects of the law. I have a typing speed of 65 wpm and have mostly worked in the legal field having worked for solicitors, the police and for the Chief Crown Prosecutor at Nottinghamshire CPS.

My charges would be £0.60 pence per dictated minute. Please let me know if you are interested. Thank you.

June Page

tilly6030 Mon 08-Oct-12 10:31:16

Hi, I do remote audio transcription and it is is hard work and it is not very well paid. I am highly skilled with decades of experience as a PA/Secretary and I type at about 80 wpm so I could earn a lot more working in an office. On the plus side, I can take my DS to school and pick him up and I am at home and available to help with homework etc. My DH works abroad a lot so I cannot commit to standard office hours, but this is a way of bringing in some money without it impacting family life to harshly.

Eglantine175 Thu 15-Nov-12 10:30:10

Audio transcription is great work if you go about it the right way. It is interesting and varied and you need to take into account the money you save in travelling, childcare etc. The way to really earn with this job is to find your own customers. I have run my own company, Manchester Secretarial, for nearly 8 years. I charge £1.50 per audio minute for focus group work, £1.20 for one to one interviews and £1.10 per audio minute for single person dictation. Working for a transcription company will obviously earn you a lot less.

Susantypist Wed 02-Jan-13 19:56:48

Hello, I am a Secretary based in West Lothian, who in 2010 became a sole trader after redundancy. I provide a transcription and typing service to a wide range of universities in Scotland and England and also individuals.

I agree that if you do want to make any kind of decent money, you do have to start up on your own.

Having previously worked at a Scottish university for four years as a Secretary and Transcriber, I have an extensive knowledge of transcription and pride myself on a quick professional turnaround at affordable prices. £1.20 per audio minute for one-to-one interviews and Focus Groups at varying rates per audio minute depending on how many participants.

My email is: shl1965@talktalk.net

Thanks!

KiwiJude Wed 09-Jan-13 05:32:36

Great, ongoing discussion! smile Hi everybody, I found this site googling for something completely different and got hooked when I started reading this discussion. I've been transcribing for years (decades) and love it. I'm home based now and have a sub-contractor who does some regular part-time work for me.

I put in some very long hours but for me it is well worth it even if some of my regular clients have me pulling my hair out in frustration sometimes. But for the most part they pay on time, and the work is interesting, plus I do love the flexibility I have to organise my work load so I can go off and do ~stuff~ sometimes means I just keep on typing smile

Squina1 Sat 02-Feb-13 14:55:23

Hi,

I've just created a very simple website and am starting to get work in. Does anybody know how to create a button on my website to enable clients to upload their files? Many thanks.

SallyBrigham Wed 29-May-13 15:14:31

Hi,

I'm trying to get employment with a transcription agency and they want to know how much I would charge per minute of audio typing and per 1000 words of copy typing. I don't want to charge too much or too little - can anyone advise? I have been a PA for over 20 years - audio typing for all that time - so I have some experience.

Thanks!

CribePro Thu 20-Jun-13 16:45:28

Hi, am new here and i would appreciate your advice on how to get regular transcription jobs..my email is interiormasterss(at)gmail.com.

I will appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.

SusanQalent Tue 25-Jun-13 23:16:31

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

lynnesupersec Mon 22-Jul-13 18:53:02

hi, I think I must be applying to the same company for transcription purposes. They want to know what my fee is per minute and also per 1000 words. Do you have any idea what the fee would be.
I would be so grateful if you can help with this, I am completely at a loss as to what to quote.
Lynne

hamster24 Tue 13-Aug-13 18:41:42

I am looking to set up as a transcriber to fit in with family life. I would be grateful if anyone could suggest suitable equipment/software to enable me to get started. Also if anyone has any work available, I have a tiny amount of transcribing experience but lots of legal secretarial experience. My email address is jhunt24@btinternet.com. Thanks

miceeanx Thu 12-Sep-13 03:28:00

Hi,

Good Day to all!

I'm new to this site and I was looking for a part time transcription job that would fit my skills and interest. I can do General as I have been employed 3 years ago with a freelance experience, Legal as a freelancer at present and Medical by profession and a transcriber at any field. I'm reliable and flexible to changes esp. in schedules and tight deadlines of the files as per clients requirements. Feel free to contact me at mice.geo@gmail.com. Thank you so much for your help and suggestions and will be looking forward for future opportunities.

Thank you and kind regards,

Mice Franco

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now