Does anyone do freelance transcription?

(94 Posts)
lucysnowe Thu 04-Dec-08 13:06:47

Hi all

Thought this might be an easy-ish way to get some extra cash. Is is quite sought after? Do you need any qualifications etc?

Thanks!

Dens Sat 25-Apr-09 17:30:38

Hi - sorry just found this site about transcription work which I am interested in starting. Most companies only employ experienced transcribers - any ideas on how to get started in this field. I have worked in financial institution for 30 years, 17 of which as secretary (although could be classed as "bit rusty"). Still have over 65 wpm though. Am willing to work from bottom up!

MingMong Tue 05-May-09 08:00:31

Hi Casmac
I have emailed you through your website, hopefully you will have received it. I can't seem to PM you via this site.

ktsutton Mon 01-Jun-09 18:59:11

Hi Fennel,

As a professional transcriptionist with many years experience I was amazed at the prices you are having to pay and how long the wait for the work.

If you want a try out to see how professional my work is and the better rates I charge I will be happy to hear from you.

For that matter, anyone else wanting to know about freelance transcription please contact me. this is what I do and how I earn my living.

Mumchum Wed 24-Jun-09 12:35:16

I have worked as a freelance transcriber for over six years and absolutely love the job.

It is hard to get started and make contacts but once you have proved yourself you will gain more work through returning clients recommendation.

You have to be reasonable in what you charge and be prepared to tackle sensitive and difficult subjects, i.e. I did a series of interviews with mums from SANDS which were really upsetting.

I would be happy to offer any advice to those wanting to start out. Alternatively, if you ever need the services of an experienced transcriber, or know of anyone who may do, please contact me.

elliepoppy Tue 04-Aug-09 22:27:26

Hi

I am very interested in hearing from any home-based experienced transcribers

elliepoppy Tue 04-Aug-09 22:51:53

Hi

Sorry, just found Mumsnet so not sure what the procedure is. My e-mail address, for any experienced transcribers looking for work from home, is transcribing22@yahoo.co.uk

Uriel Tue 04-Aug-09 23:03:44

elliepoppy - I'm just starting out - would you be interested? I'm an experienced audio typist...

weejaney Tue 22-Sep-09 21:03:28

Hi All

Came across this website whilst searching desperately for some information on freelanced typing. This definitely seems to be the site to come to - talk about a fountain of knowledge!!! wink

I am looking to start up with freelance typing as a contractor through a company whose services range from medical, legal, interviews, etc, and I could be sent any of these areas to type up.

The problem is that they have requested I state my fee per word and fee per 1000 words (I have always done audio typing in fee per hour!!). Any ideas or guidance on this would be hugely appreciated - don't want to sell myself short!

ta muchly
j

GTrans Wed 11-Nov-09 06:13:07

hi Danielle,
Hv sent you a mail about freelancing work.

Please check,
Amit

GTrans Wed 11-Nov-09 06:34:44

hey Frosty,
can you take up transcription work?
provide me with your email-id

edu76ers Sat 13-Feb-10 13:13:11

Hi all. I've been in the transcription industry for the last 16 years, 6 of which has been owning and operating my own transcription and data entry company. We offer the cheapest rates in the market not to mention the best possible quality, at $40 per audio hour with a turnaround time of 24 hours. We operate 24 hours everyday. Anyone looking for transcription services (or other vendors wishing to subcontract me) can contact me through this email; (admin at crystaloutsourcing dot net). I would really appreciate the business and/or referrals too. Referrals won't go unnoticed, I promise. Thanks.

edu76ers Sat 13-Feb-10 13:22:46

Again, my email is admin@crystaloutsourcing.net or edu76ers@gmail.com. Thanks

Joglo Fri 16-Apr-10 15:20:35

I am a freelance transcriptionist with over 10 years experience, my rates and turnaround times are very competitive. If you require any transcription projects undertaken, small or large, please contact me.

catherine1980 Mon 19-Apr-10 14:02:24

I have been a freelance transcriber for a couple of years after being an audio typist for a lot of years. I started my own company last year and am always on the look out for new transcribers who have excellent English and grammar. We do interview transcription and legal secretarial work at the moment. catherine@first-transcribe.co.uk

tylereden Mon 21-Jun-10 20:14:54

Hi Peeps

I have been transcribing from home for years, and have many happy clients who come back time after time. My turn around for an hours audio is 4 hours and can have it back to a client in less that 24. If anyone wanted me to do any trasncription I would be more than happy, I charege £40 per sudio hour

Thank You

Lyndsay

ElleBlue Wed 18-Aug-10 22:35:22

Hi, I am about to start some legal transcription work but am stuck on how much I should charge per minute. I have a rough idea but am not really that sure of the going rate especially for someone like myself who is starting out. I also need to charge per 1000 words. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Elle

louisewo Thu 30-Sep-10 15:04:33

I am looking for a freelance transcriber for a 10-12 week project. It is out of normal office hours work for one evening a week. Basic details are that you will be needed to transcribe a one hour TV programme each week (Wednesday evenings, 8pm). We would require the transcript the same evening.

We need someone who is skilled in this area as accuracy is really important. We also need them to be committed to doing it for the whole series as this is integral to the campaign. If you are interested please email me asap at louise@umpf.co.uk with some details about your experience and an idea of rates for the whole job. The first episode is next Wed.

Many thanks, Louise

TracyK Sun 03-Oct-10 09:56:41

I had to laugh at tylereden - why would you use them after that dreadful paragraph of mistakes!

dadsurrey Sun 31-Oct-10 14:13:38

I am a solicitor interested in hearing from experienced freelance transcribers. The work will be police interviews. Transcribers need their own equipment and will be reqired to sign a confidentiality agreement.

Please quote rates and lead times. ( relatively flexible in this regard)

chellea107 Wed 10-Nov-10 12:14:15

hi everyone

I am a homebased freelance transcriber/audio typist and am currently already doing some for solicitors.

I have twenty years experience and my rates are very reasonable. Please feel free to email me and we can discuss what you require.

my email address is matypingservices@tiscali.co.uk

Cathaleen Mon 22-Nov-10 20:14:35

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

JaneCM Sat 22-Jan-11 18:05:41

Hi I'm new at this and just thinking about applying for a transcription job, they're asking for expected rates per audio minute for dictation, 1-1 and group. Could anyone help me out here please? I don't want to underprice or price myself out of the job!
Thanks!

frizzyone Wed 02-Feb-11 13:30:44

Hi,

Thanks for all this really good info. I work part-time and my partner has just become a full time student. We are on a low income and are looking for a way to boost our income. If my partner works for 16 hours a week we qualify for the childcare element of working tax credits and this would make a huge difference to our. Does anyone have any ideas on how transcribing work could fit into this? Really what we are trying to do is have both of us working from home but atribute all the work to my partner. Does anyone have any idea on how to log hours worked with piecemeal work like transcribing? All help much appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris189 Fri 27-May-11 14:31:09

Just for all you buffs who reckon it would be easy to set up as a transcriptionist.

You need to have a home office (a room in the house which can be set aside..... you need total peace & quiet)

you need the most up to date office packages etc

you need foot pedals

you need transcription software

I have just set up a business as a freelance transcriber - Total cost £2948 and I have built a website.

Clients want more than just typing a few meetings. You need to understand layouts, template creation, turn around times and so on.......

point to note:

for those that are not sure about how long transcription takes, 15 recorded minutes takes 60 minutes to transcribe.

too many office administrators around who feel they can set up as freelance transcribers and who are bringing the industry standards down to a level of inferior quality work and driving potential clients away from outsourcing their secretarial requirements..

A transcriptionist/VA will have approximately 5 years experience at Senior Management level and will have to be a super researcher as well to find out the correct terminology etc

you will also have to be a good listener to understand local dialects etc

I am an ex military transcriber with 20 years experience and after I have costed for all my overheads etc and paid my accountant and the tax man I will have earned approximately £9.50 per hour

Just thought I would put my oar in..........

sheppard947 Sun 12-Jun-11 16:06:21

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now