Translators, how much do you charge per 1000 words?

(33 Posts)
Threadwworm Sun 28-Sep-08 07:20:47

I've been asked by a Japanese academic to revise his written English. His article is fairly competantly but very weirdly written, obviously by a non-native English speaker.

It requires quite substantial revision so I thought I would pitch my fee somewhere between my normal copy-editing rate and a translator's rate. Hence my question.

I'll be very grateful for your thoughts.

Threadworrm Fri 03-Oct-08 06:53:33

Teddimac. Thanks very much. This is quite reassuring. I decided to quote him £400 for 11,500-word article. Which from what you say is alowish, reasonable price. I had been nervous that I'd overcharged.

I am familiar with the subject matter,so that shouldn't be a prob. I'm actually looking forward to it. It should be really enjoyable.

If a fairy gave me one wish, I might wish to be a translator -- of great novels. The combination of creativity and constraint involved in expressing the thoughts of one language in another must be a wonderful thing.

jillandersan Fri 07-Jun-13 16:56:03

I use translators a lot in my work. I have tried many but have found Kwintessential to be terrific. Here

Hope this helps x

Fraxinus Tue 11-Jun-13 21:29:49

Zombie thread! I wonder how the op got on with her work?

BlueEyeshadow Tue 11-Jun-13 21:46:18

Also check out the ITI. Agree with Teddimac about not under-charging - the workload for you is the same whoever you're working for. The Translators' Association current minimum recommended observed rate for literary translation, which I base my rates on, is £88.50 per 1000.

BlueEyeshadow Tue 11-Jun-13 21:47:09

Oh yes, hadn't noticed the date. Wonder why it was in active convos?

Fraxinus Tue 11-Jun-13 23:49:55

Weird.

textapproah Sun 14-Feb-16 01:08:18

We are a language solution provider. Please do check our website:
www.my-word.co.uk

AndNowItsSeven Sun 14-Feb-16 01:29:46

Bit late to the party spam.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now