Moved country, while pregnant, working FT

(2 Posts)
HowdoImanage Mon 26-Sep-16 12:58:30

Hi all, I just joined mumsnet because I'm at the end of my tether. We just moved to Portugal from the United States as my husband got a teaching job here. I was able to convince my company to let me work from Portugal, doing the same job I had in the states. Problem is, I am still on east coast US hours and working from home is isolating. Add to that I'm 4 months pregnant and no time off since last December. I'm exhausted. But one of the conditions of my move is that I become a contracted employee, which means no sick leave, no pension, and certainly no mat leave. Oh, and I'm on a 6 month contract. I'm really resenting the position I'm in at the moment. And I'm utterly exhausted. No, I haven't told them I'm pregnant, because they would probably not renew my contract if I did. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking for people who've been in similar situations who can help me handle this.

flowery Tue 04-Oct-16 09:51:01

If your employer have allowed to keep working for them despite the fact that you've chosen to leave the country, but you're resenting them, then it's clearly not working. Or is it not them you're resenting?

Either way, working for a company based that far away is clearly not working logistically so, assuming you need to work financially, you need to look for work locally.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now