Has anyone used People Per Hour?

(11 Posts)

DD 17 has recently signed up as a photo editor and has had two jobs, good feedback and paid but I see a fair few reviews on line that say it is a scam.
Would be interested to know if anyone uses it successfully.

VioletBam Tue 20-Sep-16 08:42:01

I've used it for years...it's not a scam.

Badbadbunny Tue 20-Sep-16 09:33:26

People per hour itself, i.e. the website etc isn't a scam as it's been around for years. But like Ebay, some of the people using it may be fraudsters, scammers or incompetents. It's just a matter of "buyer beware", in terms of properly checking out the service providers, being crystal clear as to the terms and scope of the work involved, and generally being wary of something being too good to be true. Just like you'd do with Ebay to avoid being conned.

babynelly2010 Tue 20-Sep-16 17:52:35

I used it twice. One time great fantastic result well woth the money, it was 3d rendering for my project. One time it was an edditing job and woman essentially ripped me off, I selected second to highest bit because she claimed to have experience in my sector which is a niche. She did poorly, really messed up the content of text and I had to do a lot if work repairing what she did. So yeah its hit and miss really.

babynelly2010 Tue 20-Sep-16 17:53:22

She also was very late getting work back

Truckingalong Tue 20-Sep-16 17:56:32

I've used it a few times and it's been great.

Thank you for the responses.
Pretty much confirms my feelings, this will help DD continue with it with her eyes open.

VioletBam Wed 21-Sep-16 03:08:03

Tell her that when she bids and puts her "deposit amount" down on the bid form that she should always put the amount for the full cost of her services.

I never put for eg. half the full cost as deposit because if the client can't access the money immediately, then I don't want to work for them.

If the client does not release the funds when she has completed the job, PPH will do it for her within 2 weeks.

Some clients try it on but in 7 years I've only met one of those....because I am careful about which jobs I bid for. I can smell a shyster out these days.

LunaLoveg00d Wed 28-Sep-16 17:52:47

No it's not a scam. I have worked on there for years and have never had any problems with clients.

PPH has a more robust method for approving clients than other websites, I think they have to register a valid credit card to start advertising opportunities, and when you're bidding you can specify a percentage of the amount to be paid up front. This is held by PPH until the job is completed. If the client then refuses to pay, and you've actually done the work they asked for, the amount held as an upfront payment is released to you. So when working for a new client I usually ask for at least 75% to be paid upfront so I'm not risking as much.

Other sites like Freelancer and Odesk are MUCH worse for dodgy clients.

Youarenotprepared Wed 28-Sep-16 18:48:14

People per hour itself, i.e. the website etc isn't a scam as it's been around for years. But like Ebay, some of the people using it may be fraudsters, scammers or incompetents. It's just a matter of "buyer beware", in terms of properly checking out the service providers, being crystal clear as to the terms and scope of the work involved, and generally being wary of something being too good to be true. Just like you'd do with Ebay to avoid being conned.

This. We use it without issues mostly but you need to be clear what you expect/can offer and keep all correspondence via the website messaging system as this covers your ass much better.

ladybagpuss Thu 29-Sep-16 12:26:37

What PP ^^ said. A friend of mine gets a lot of work from this. His golden rule: don't go 'offboard'. Sometimes clients ask you to send work through to their email address rather than through the site, but you have no recourse then if they say they won't pay as there's no record of it.

Your daughter sounds very pro-active at 17. Good on her! Hope it works out well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now