Self employment as a tutor and doing it the right way?

(5 Posts)
babba2014 Wed 07-Sep-16 22:42:13

I read that I need to have detailed book keeping in my possession if I go down the self employed route (it would only be a few hours a week with regular income to top up the other normal job) however, the self employed job is tutoring to a adult a language which I know well and they don't. I'm not really sure how I can put much detail at all. They would simply come to my home, I'd tutor them for a hour a day, or more and they would five cash in hand and I'd have to declare it.

How can I give as much info as I can in case it is ever requested?

Badbadbunny Thu 08-Sep-16 08:47:46

How can I give as much info as I can in case it is ever requested?

Just keep a diary/book/spreadsheet showing the dates/times you provided the tutoring, have a note of the full name and address of your customers at the back of the book, and note down the dates and amounts you are paid.

Alternatively, you could create a sheet for each customer, with a note of the dates, times and amounts paid by each.

babba2014 Thu 08-Sep-16 11:57:48

Thanks for your reply.

Is it necessary to set up a actual business bank account or can I just use a separate normal bank account in my name? I know I won't be earning loads here

dodobookends Thu 08-Sep-16 12:45:46

My DH tutors, and he just uses his normal bank account. A lot of the time he is paid in cash, and doesn't pay it in, occasionally he will have a cheque so he pays those in as you would normally.

As long as you keep a record of your income and any relevant expenses that you can deduct from your income to give a net figure, then that's all you need. It doesn't have to go through a bank account.

If you are using your home for tutoring, then you will be able to claim a small proportion of your household utility bills as expenses as well.

babba2014 Thu 08-Sep-16 19:00:59

Thank you so much for your advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now