Any other freelancers hire a nanny to come in and mind kids while you work from home?

(6 Posts)
HughLauriesStubble Thu 01-Sep-16 13:11:10

I'm a freelace copywriter and I have 2 small children and a third on the way. I work from home, usually early in the morning before the kids wake up, during lunchtime and in the evening when they've gone to bed.

However, with an increasing workload now and pregnancy tiredness getting to me in the evenings, I'm wondering if it might be worth hiring someone to come in from 9am-12pm to mind the kids while I get on with some work. Practically, I'm not sure how it would work though. I prefer to work downstairs but that wouldn't work as our downstairs is open plan. I don't have a dedicated office but I do have a workstation in my bedroom that I could use.

Has anyone done anything like this?

VioletBam Fri 02-Sep-16 01:41:55

I'm also a copywriter and never hired anyone. I sent both mine to nursery and until that point, I did most of my work at night.

I wonder if a childminder might be a better option for you? It would be annoying to have the DC in the house as they'd probably want to come and "visit" you quite often!

arwenearlythereyet Mon 05-Sep-16 13:15:21

Yep I have. Amazing nanny looks after DC2 and picks up DC1 from school. DH and I both work FT, me most days from home as a freelance copywriter same as you.

At first it was quite hard - DC2 took a while to settle with her, and I took a while to get over the feeling that something in my life was wrong if I was sitting working upstairs while someone I paid to look after my children was going off doing all these exciting things or reading stories or just with my sweet little sausage-faced boy.

I had a hard rule that she was in charge, and I never interfered, so her early fears that it might be hard for her to work with me in the house were quite quickly allayed.

There is an element of 'visiting'. DC1 always comes for a giant cuddle after school. And there was a stage when DC2 'found' the office (after her learned to do the stairs) and I could hear him stumping upstairs and giggling with glee coming to find me. Even now there are times when I find it tricky to get rid of them, or going downstairs to make a cup of tea means I get 'Mummy mummy mummy have you finished all your work?' And sometimes I can't stop myself from going to visit them for cuddles.

But for us it has worked really well - amazing nanny is part of the family now, and I work really well (when I am not doing this on MN that is.)

arwenearlythereyet Mon 05-Sep-16 13:16:03

PS - there is no way I can work downstairs though.

LunaLoveg00d Tue 06-Sep-16 17:12:24

My kids are older and I do similar work to you. I can never get anything done when they are around so usually work school hours. When they were younger, I worked when they were at playgroup and in bed. It is difficult - especially with a fluctuating workload.

Meandacat Tue 04-Oct-16 16:19:47

My husband is a freelancer working from home. We sent our daughter to nursery when I returned to work. And a neighbour who is freelance has a nanny. You cannot work and give kids - especially young ones - the attention they need. They only other way I've known it to work is for the freelance half of a mum/dad team to get their work done when the "normal" worker is home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now